Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Roundhouse ceiling

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Roundhouse ceiling

This image is a welcome addition to my collection of photos that include strong circular elements. It's the ceiling of a roundhouse that has been converted to the B&O Railroad museum in Baltimore, Maryland. C&C is encouraged, though I don't have anything to ask.

Roundhouse ceiling

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Re: Roundhouse ceiling

Probably no way to avoid the highlights in the windows at the top is there, without using multiple images and combining them. Did you consider getting the elements all in alignment so the spacing of the windows and top is symmetric? It would be interesting to see as a composition. I do like the image as is though. Nice strong linear and circular elements.

Real Name
    James

I have to agree with Trevor in his comment about seeing things lined up. It would be nice to see the image shot from directly under the center, and with your Tokina at 12mm for a little wider perspective. Don't know what your software arsenal contains, but it would also be interesting (and I think neat) to see a HDR of this shot, or at the least a tone mapped version. I suspect that there are some very strong and rich tones and colors in that old wood. All in all though I too like the image - would like to have the opportunity to shoot it myself but CA is a long way from Maryland! (have you thought about a square crop just to kinda center things up?)

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

It was physically impossible to shoot from underneath the center of the ceiling because a huge installation of model trains was installed in that area for the holiday season. When I return, I hope to be able to shoot from that area. On the other hand, an image that has everything lined up can be a bit static, so I like that this one lacks that problem.

I hadn't thought of an HDR treatment, as I don't use HDR software. Now that you mention it, I can imagine photographing the ceiling on a completely cloud-covered day when the sun is directly overhead and providing soft lighting. Tone mapping the wood in that situation might be especially appealing.

I also agree that using a shorter focal length might have produced appealing results. Though I didn't think the family event I was a part of at that time allowed for making a lens change, in the end it actually wouldn't have been a problem to do that.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 29th December 2012 at 04:02 PM.