Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Dubai Street Photos - new member

Dubai Street Photos - new member

Hi there, I have been exploring the streets and souq's of Dubai and captured these images. I would love to know what you think? Positive or negative feedback is welcome ) Thanks

Dockhand's taking a break.

Animal Souq - Lunch time.

Animal Souq - Ostrich Chicks For Sale!

Animal Souq - Hawks For Sale.

Animal Souq - Hawks For Sale 2.

Prince and the Pea! Carpet Souq Storekeeper

Counting Cash in the back Alleyway near the gold souq

Real Name
    Phil Page

Re: Dubai Street Photos - new member

Hi Sally

I too am in Dubai, and take a lot of souk/street environmental portraits in town.

With your Animal Souq shots, I take it these are from Sharjah? If it's in Dubai, I need the location as I've never been there!!!!

You may feel slightly slightly uncomfortable doing so, but these guys are generally very approachable and don't mind if you get a little closer for a shot with permission (I'm thinking of your last shot here).

#1,4,6 are standouts for me here. 6 is very interesting, but the highlights look a little blown on the man's clothes. Maybe a little bracketing could have helped here to keep more detail is his clothes while still maintaining detail in the shadows on the stacked carpets. Difficult to do on the fly though!

Real Name
    Griddi

Hi Sally, I like your photos, but can you please post them a big larger ?

Griddi......

Hi Phil, Yes you are right, the animal souq is in Sharjah... I should have said UAE Street Photos! LOL What an interesting place it is. Ostrich's, Tortoises, Lizards, Hawks and much more.

I find people very approachable (so far i've only had one guy refuse), but I find that once they are aware they are being photographed the candid shot is gone. So I try and do both - the quick candid and then ask. But the candid is usually the keeper at the end of the day.

#6 the highlights were a little blown. It was taken on the fly and he was so close to the ceiling with a light directly above him. I will try and re-process it as I also like the shot.

#1 is my favourite. it's amazing what you find waiting to be loaded on those old Dhow's... why would anyone want to ship this old car anywhere?

Thanks so much for your comments! This images are my first attempt at "Street Photography", but I have to say... I quite enjoy it.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Quote Originally Posted by SallyM View Post
    Hi Phil, Yes you are right, the animal souq is in Sharjah... I should have said UAE Street Photos! LOL What an interesting place it is. Ostrich's, Tortoises, Lizards, Hawks and much more.

I find people very approachable (so far i've only had one guy refuse), but I find that once they are aware they are being photographed the candid shot is gone. So I try and do both - the quick candid and then ask. But the candid is usually the keeper at the end of the day.

#6 the highlights were a little blown. It was taken on the fly and he was so close to the ceiling with a light directly above him. I will try and re-process it as I also like the shot.

#1 is my favourite. it's amazing what you find waiting to be loaded on those old Dhow's... why would anyone want to ship this old car anywhere?

Thanks so much for your comments! This images are my first attempt at "Street Photography", but I have to say... I quite enjoy it.
    Well if you fancy a joint stroll one day then let me know - I'm living on Palm Jumeirah so only around 30 minutes from most of these locations. I've got a growing back catalogue at www.philpage.zenfolio.com in the monochrome folders of my Portfolio section on my site...

Hi Griddi, I will try and do that next time. It took me a while to post them so I don't have time now to do these ones again. There must be a faster way to post multiple images... I'll figure it out. Thanks

Phil, All I can say is WOW! I just checked out your website and what amazing images you have captured. I love the camel trainer and the three guys on the bench and your Places gallery is outstanding.

I moved here in August (but also lived here between 2001-2004). I haven't met any other photographers here yet and would like to get to know others who share the same passion. I set up a Lifestyle portrait business back in the Netherlands but it was expensive to start up and close down when we moved here. We are expats and expect to be on the move again in another 2-3 years so I am re-evaluating what I want to do with my photography that also suits our nomadic existence I live in Arabian Ranches and would be keen to get together in January if you are around.

Real Name
    John

Hi Sally,
    you have posted some very good shots here, well done.
    If I'm right you and Phil live less than 10km from each other, making a photo-shot together possible, if you both have the time.
    I look forward to seeing more of your work.
    Cheers
    John