Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Time-sensitive advice needed. Camera purchase.

Real Name
    Ife.

Time-sensitive advice needed. Camera purchase.

Compliments of the season to you all and i hope you're in good health. Someone who is aware of my journey here and in photography so far may be quick in reminding me that a new camera body is not what i need now. There is a small window of opportunity i want to seize though.

My sister is in the US presently and will be back to Nigeria in a few days. Since it is New york, i figured it may be easier to get a used camera at a reasonable price either by the seller's leniency or christmas holiday sales.

The question is: if i am to get another camera body in place of my current canon 1000d, which one would you recommend? Budget is of concern too(hence the mention of "used"). Something $500-$600 will be really feasible for her to help get.

Online searches are of no huge help, as she is over there and i can safely presume there are many camera shops to walk into.

I am sticking to canon too. Please advise me, it's quite time-sensitive.

Of recent, i have been seeing some interesting info on the 60d and 600d.

Lastly, i want a camera that i wont have to change for a while.

Thank you.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Time-sensitive advice needed. Camera purchase.

Ife

I just did a quick search on B & H Used Dept. I assume that you are just talking about the body and NOT a lens as well.

The other question I considered is that if you are looking to upgrade from a 1000D, is there any point in thinking about the xxxD range, or should you only be thinking about the xxD range. In other words, would there be any great gain in going from the 1000D to a xxxD body?

That being said, there is only one possible candidate in the B & H online used equipment section - a 60D, but it is being sold with the 18-135 kit lens. I don't know if a personal visit to the B & H store in New York could result in a negotiation to purchase the body only. The price being quoted for the body and the lens is $799.

Real Name
    Ife.

Thank you Donald, how are you?

Since i currently do not have a lens covering the 18mm range(i have a 50mm prime and a sigma 70-300). So a lens being included with it is not a bad idea. Any lens will do, even the common 18-55 as the one i have is not working.

On second thought, i fully understand the idea about the upgrade. 600D aint really much of an upgrade actually.

$799.......whew!

If you can find a decent 40D at a sensible price, that is what I would get.

Assuming you are looking for just a good quality digital body and aren't interested in having video as well.

Real Name
    Jim

B+H,a great place to deal with.

They have a few 40Ds in the used section.Here is a kit with 18-55 IS lens.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Good on you Jim. Don't how I managed to miss the 40Ds when I was searching.

I would agree with Geoff. If you can get a 40D, then go for it. Great camera.

Ife - If you do ask your sister to look at one of these options, don't forget that you'll need a battery (and a spare?) as well.

Real Name
    Ife.

Thanks everyone. I have given the 40D a look. Video is secondary but if a few bucks will get me that feature, i honestly would not mind.

Donald, battery! Yes, that's true. I read many reviews that the 60D has an amazing battery life too. Anyone had any experience with this camera? How does it fare compared to the 5D (not the mark ii or mark iii).

Thanks.

Real Name
    Richard

Ife...

Given that it doesn't have video capability, the Canon 40D is an excellent xxD camera which was a big step above the 30D and handles a LOT BETTER than the xxxD line of DSLR cameras.

I won't go into detail regarding the advantages of a 40D over an xxxD but, one really big advantage is the two dial system which makes adjusting parameters much easier. It also has three User Selected Modes which I find to be a great help. I can select the parameters for different types of shooting such as exposure, auto-focus, single or burst, etc. etc.; register these parameters to one of the three User Selected Modes (C1, C2, or C3) and then select all of the parameters with a single twist of the mode dial.

One way in which I use the User Selected Mode system is to have one mode set up for shooting action with burst mode, servo AI, center point focus, etc. etc. Then as I am shooting stationary subjects and I want to capture a fast moving subject, I can just twist the dial to the User Mode I have set for action. I have gone into depth explaining this beause, you seldom read anywhere about the User Selected Mode system (40D = 3 modes, 50D = 2 modes, 60D = 1 mode and the 7D returns to 3 modes).

However, it is often quite difficult to find a 40D on the used market at stores like Adorma or B&H Photo and Video. These two stores in New York City are very reliable. I have purchased from both stores but, have not purchased used equipment from them.

I am wondering if you might not be better served by investing your money in a new lens for your present camera. I seem to remember that the auto focus on your 18-55mm lens doesn't work.

A NEW Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (non-VC) lens with a Canon mount runs $424 (USD) plus local tax which might be around 10-12%. This would put it well within your budget.

I think that this Tamron lens mounted on your Canon 1000D would give you better results than a more advanced camera with your present lens. It would give you immediate results with: far better image quality, improved versatility in having a constant f/2.8 aperture and far better auto focus. Of course, any auto focus would be a step over what you are presently using.

I don't know if Adorama or B&H Photo and Video has a Tamron lens with an international warranty. That might be something to look into.

Real Name
    Ife.

Hello Richard, thank you for your very helpful post. Hmmmm 40D, no i have lots think about. I just read on the 40D and it has some quite favourable reviews. One grey area though(please do not laugh), the 40D and my 1000D are both 10mp cameras both with maximum ISO ability of 1600. Apart from the convenience offered as in the dials that you mentioned, what am i missing?

I'm just like a kid in candyland. To be honest, i am not crazy about video...if it comes along, i smile...it does not...i concentrate on my regular digital art.

A wide-angle that autofocuses is just indispensable for me now..17 or 18 upwards. 17-55, 18-55 and a good AF. Hmmmm.

So Richard, given a choice of 40D or 60D, which would you advise? Secondly, if the 60D or any other xxD that is fine comes with a lens that does the 18mm-something mm, at a good price(used i mean)....say $600 (or less )....just throw some light please.

PS: aren't there canon shooters here in CiC with old gear to get rid of? I'm not wishing for free stuff but then if for example someone has an 18-55mm that works fine and wants to sell cheap, money could be sent and the stuff could be mailed....it's so hard getting good used stuffs here, besides Nigeria does not enjoy the best of reputations with online transactions.

Real Name
    Richard

Ife, The 40D is quite a good camera. In fact, when the 50D came out, there were quite a few people who preferred the 40D to the 50D. The 40D is considerably less expensive than even a used 60D. However, if I could afford it, I would most likely opt for the 60D. It is just a newer camera but, for the price, a 40D is probably one of the best buys on the used market.

I don't really worry about the lack of pixels in my 40D. Actually I think that Canon is going overboard packing pixels into the 1.6x format size. You can do a lot with 10MP. I shoot with my 40D right alongside my 7D. Yes, I would like a second 7D because I just love the focus capability of that camera but, as far as image quality; I think that the 40D produces very good to excellent IQ.

See my China and Yosemite galleries at http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/ These were all shot with a 30D and a 40D but, they were shot with top line lenses.