Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My first night time photo

Real Name
    Matthew

My first night time photo

Here's my first night time photo. To be honest, I wasn't even planning a night photo, nor was I ready to do one. However, on my way home from a daytime shoot, the light looked nice as the sun went down, so I had the urge to sneak into a local park and give it a try. I couldn't see anything, couldn't tell if it was in focus, couldn't see if it was level, didn't know what I was doing, wasn't sure if someone would spot me and call the police....it was crazy!!!

Anyway, here it is. I know it's not very good, but I wanted to share anyway. C&C appreciated.

My first night time photo

Real Name
    Paul

Re: My first night time photo

You did well Matt, I like it. I would like it even more if I were not already planning to do a long exposure there tomorrow....weather permitting. lol I live 1 1/2 miles north of there on the street at the light just above the park.

Real Name
    Yegor

I see small distortion. The line of horizon a bit aims upwards on the right. Can it would be more dramatic, to keep cam low, to doing bridge more wider? Maybe, it is necessary more time on a shot? To show texture of bridge anymore?
    Something, like this?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/6692426...in/photostream

My opinion.....with kind regards!

MOD Comment: Tried converting to a link, but still not going anywhere useful
    Yegor if you fix this, please delete my comments
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 25th December 2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: converted to url

Real Name
    Kenny

I like this Matt, particularly the way you have light and dark on each side of the pier. For me the image would benefit from a slightly lighter pier which would lead the eye into the photo whereas at the moment, you really have to look past it to see the image. Great start as it's not easy getting these images right.

Real Name
    John

Very nice.

Real Name
    Matthew

Paul, thanks. I look forward to seeing more of your long exposure pics. By the sound of it, I live about 10 minutes from you!

Yegor, your photo example is not showing up.

Kenny, thanks for the feedback. Those are excellent points and I completely agree, and I'm glad you pointed them out so I can consider it in the future. I wish image noise was not such an issue or else I could just crank the exposure of the pier up in LR.

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback and advice!

Real Name
    Steve

Very nice. Excellent first night shot.

Real Name
    Paul

Quite possible Matt, it takes me all of about 3 min to get to that park. On your image, while I agree that there could be a little gained from some more exposure in the walk, I did not mention it being I know the walk and being black asphalt there is not a lot of detail to be had even in descent light. Being close to night and the walk not being lit, it would be a lot of challenge for little benefit to bring it fully out, but a slight more would atleast define the short rails.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by flyingSquirrel View Post
    Anyway, here it is. I know it's not very good, but I wanted to share anyway. C&C appreciated.
    Just as well you said C&C appreciated.

First to your comment about it not being very good.
    What rubbish!~!, that is a great shot.

I wish I could get started on nightshots with a first effort like that.

You have a good eye.

That is all I have to say.

Real Name
    Matthew

Thank you all for your kind comments, and advice. I really appreciate all the help I get on here because it helps me grow and improve. I look forward to continuing my journey, and will no doubt try some more night shots based on these results