Thread: Trying New Things

Real Name
    Mitch Ward

Trying New Things

Trying New Things

How is the composition, I have been working with lines to gain comp. skills.

Real Name
    John

Re: Trying New Things

I like it. What type of lens are you using? Is this the type of effect (distorted lines) you were looking for?

Real Name
    Ian

I think I can see where you are going with this, but for me the eye is left hunting around the picture for a focal point. Too many potential subjects...stairs? moon? building? It almost tries to be a mirror image.

Can you give us a little more on the direction you are heading in with this one.

Diagonals often suggest action, yet this is rigidly static. Perhaps that was your aim?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I like the concept. The potential makes me think you should continue working with this scene.

For me, the moon is a significant distraction, especially because I had to first figure out that it is a moon. That's probably because you used a shutter speed that allowed motion blur.

The other distraction is the strong lines in the foreground shadows. They interfere with the very nice lines in the subject. Perhaps this scene would be stronger when photographed during the daytime when the light is diffuse, which would render soft shadows.

Real Name
    Kevin

Great exercise. I am presuming the shadows are part of the intended exploration of lines and angles. I am wondering whethter your intended effect might be enhanced by an exposure reduction in PP, with an experiment "on the dark side". I agree the inclusion of the sky, both moon and stars, is incongruous to the theme and consideration might be given to a crop of essentially all the sky.

Real Name
    Mitch Ward

Just bought a Tamron 10-24 mm 3.5 for Canon T3i, It's the first wide angle and the first pic with it.
    Does this give a better rendition?

Trying New Things

Real Name
    John

Hi Mitch,
    it looks to me that you are have some great fun with this lens.

I think the 2nd cropped and adjusted picture is much better, I really do like it. I wouldn't mind seeing some more like this.

Well done.
    John

Real Name
    John

2nd image more dramatic, if patterns and lines is your main theme you don't need a particular main sujbect to stand out more than others. I thought the distracting lines might have been caused by a wide angle lens, I just purchased the Nikkor version and it can flatten objects very dramatically. I love what the lens can do but have to be very careful when composing scenes: especially when I am standing on a short pier.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The second crop and other adjustments work far better for me. Consider cropping again so the bottom is just below the base of the near staircase and above the first strong shadow in the concrete.

Real Name
    Kevin

Nicely done. I think I prefer the shadows as you have handled them-they provide and interesting parallel and contrast between the lines of matter and the lines of matter's shadows.