deer portraits C&C welcomed

Thanks for veiwing

Real Name
    Joe

Re: deer portraits C&C welcomed

I like them James. You sure seem to have a lot of deer in Tennessee. There was one you posted recently that was face on that I thought would make a nice portrait.

Real Name
    james

Oh yea the rainy day deer. The one you are talking about was a brute. I will look at it tomorrow. Joe you mustve been looking at my post while I was checking yours. Tennessee has a lot of deer, they have a lot of space. Most of my deer pics are from up in the national park. I am about scared to get out during hunt season folks out here are dangerous hunters . Every year we have hunters shooting each other. I have had to dive to the ground with slugs whipping through branches over head, but I digress . what I meant to say Joe was thanks alot .

Real Name
    James

I like the Bucks James, but that doe! You really need to work on your posing techniques! I mean, come on - a straight on head shot?? give us some profile, and have your model put the weight on the back leg for Peet sake! and if you had her drop that left shoulder a bit... and maybe walk it off - you know, get some some attitude in those shots !!!
    From one James to another - just kidding - great shots!

Real Name
    Terri

I really like that first one James. I'm never sure how to frame a large buck. Their antlers seem to throw everything out of balance. This one looks great!

Real Name
    Paul

Couple of nice Bucks there James. I would agree with Joe, you sure do have a good # of deer in Tennessee. I have hunted in OK and I understand having to take cover. Be careful out there James.

Real Name
    james

James i laughed so hard my gut hurt. Thanks I needed that. Terri and Paul considering the images y'all post, it sure makes me feel good for y'all to like one of mine. Thanks all .

Real Name
    Monte Comeau

Nice images. How did you get so close without spooking them?
    At 200mm you must have been 30-40 feet.

Real Name
    Bobo

Nice set James.

Real Name
    Miltos

Great shots James.

I'd suggest you play a bit more in PP, e.g. a bit vignetting, LCE and selective sharpening to make them even better.

Real Name
    james

I dress like a hunter to start . I get in amongst them before or at dawn, I move very very slowly. These are park deer meaning they are protected from hunters so they are kinda desensitized ( I think I just made that word up) I never ever use flash on them. I try to make my silhouette as unnoticable as i can when approaching during daylight. But most of the time I anticipate where they are going and ambush them . lol I like to carry my 400 too but during the rut I been getting much closer to them.
    Thanks Miltos that was me playing more than usual with my pp I am newbie to the computer not sure what LCE is . AFter holidays I am hoping to get a version of lightroom. thanks all.

Real Name
    Christina

Great shots! In particular I love number 1.

While visiting friends in Saskatoon who lived in a rural area, I would see deer every morning but they were very shy and as soon as I stepped out of the door with my camera they ran off. I was determined to get a photo of a deer (my first), so one morning I set the alarm for 4:30 a.m. (ugh), and I headed out into the field/forest and set up a tent in which I hid, and waited and waited for the deer to come to me (and for the light).

Here are my shots

This one was selected by NG as one of the daily dozen (thrilled but I still wish it were a pelican)

And here is another one I like

Here is a photo of a deer from Bragg Creek, the lighting was not as nice

Real Name
    james

Christina you saw them anticipated where they would be and set up ambush, looks like you were amply rewarded for your efforts. I really like your 3rd best you exposed the deer and snow perfectly. thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Christina

Thank you James...

I'm presuming my exposure for the deer is better in the 3rd photo? Is it because the sky is over exposed in the 1st two photos (which I can only change by editing with layers (which I'm still learning)

If yes, why and how can you tell just by looking at it? I'm still learning about photography.

Real Name
    james

Christina I assumed the first 2 were shot in early morning sun from your post. The 3rd pic has no shadow so I would think overcast but with good light due to brilliance of snow , I find if exposure was over whites would blow out easy . I believe the exposure is good on first two and the low slanting sun produced excellent color but something about the background looks hazy to me.. maybe a slight morning haze?
    I am very new to photography also so thank goodness for this site ( I attribute the largest advancement in my skills to cic) I would have been happy to have shot any of your 3 photos. oh yea heres a pelican

Real Name
    Christina

Hi James,
    Thank you for your feedback.. Yes, it was dewy and hazy when I took those shots of the deer but the lighting from the sun was very nice.. And yes it was overcast.

Thank you

Lovely photo... I like the way you caught the reflection of the pelicans. I have a thing for pelicans, forewarned (don't ask people to post pelican photos), I have hundreds of pelican photos. (some great and some not so great but cute)...

Here is a pelican for you

I too have learned a ton from this forum, and I'm continually inspired by everyone on this forum.

Real Name
    james

Christina we dont get a whole lot of pelicans where I am at , so I felt really lucky to see them. The river was kinda muddy , I kinda blew the whites out on that one . Since we so seemlessly got through "that awkward first pelican shot" I thought I would post 1 more.deer portraits C&C welcomed

Real Name
    Monte Comeau

Quote Originally Posted by jamn4ex View Post
    Christina we dont get a whole lot of pelicans where I am at , so I felt really lucky to see them. The river was kinda muddy , I kinda blew the whites out on that one . Since we so seemlessly got through "that awkward first pelican shot" I thought I would post 1 more.deer portraits C&C welcomed
    I really like the color tones in this, and the subject is posed nicely. Good job with this one.

Real Name
    Paul

I agree with Monte 100%, really nice James.

Real Name
    james

Thanks Monte and Paul Thats one of my best. I used Bobos technique, and got down lower than the bird. Which meant laying flat in my canoe & freehand my 400 mm. If you two like it .... I got a winner then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast