Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Great Horned Owl

Real Name
    Monte Comeau

Great Horned Owl

I followed this bird around a local hiking park and finally got him perching on the roof of an information sign. It came back to the same spot several times and I was able to get several decent shots before it disappeared into the forest.

Great Horned Owl

Great Horned Owl

Great Horned Owl

Real Name
    Tommy

Re: Great Horned Owl

I am so jealous of these it's untrue! Stunning captures!

Where can I get to see owls here in the UK? Anyone have any ideas?

Real Name
    Andy

Brilliant shots, well worth the effort of following the Owl around. What a wonderful bird.

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    I am so jealous of these it's untrue! Stunning captures!

Tommy, Owls are difficult in the UK. The only Owls for you to find here are Tawny, Barn and Small Owls. Tawny Owls are the most numerous, but the most difficult to see being very nocturnal. Infact to give you an idea of how hard they are to see I have been walking in a forest 3 nights a week all year, I hear them calling all around me every single time (at dusk) and have still not seen one. I even know where a nest is and still not seen one.

So, best to try for the Small Owl or the Barn Owl. The Barn Owl will be by far the easiest once you have found an area where you know they are, they are not as nocturnal as the Tawny and can be seen easily at dusk hunting around fields. A good tip is to head out very early morning if it has been a rainy night. During the rain they will mostly wait until it stops before they go hunting. Not sure where abouts in London you live, but get out into the countryside a bit more, drive around country lanes that contain a lot of farmland early morning or around dusk and you will see one eventually.

Look for Small Owls around Forests and marshlands, but as per their name, they are quite small so a bit more difficult.

Sorry to hijack your thread Monty.

Real Name
    Richard

Great captures of a truely magnificent bird!

Real Name
    Bobo

Great captures Monte.

You are getting pretty close shots of most things. What lens/camera are you using?

@ Tommy

Owls best times are winter when the leaves are off the trees. If you can hear them then you can find them. Look for droppings and food remains on the ground. Also check trunks of trees and branches for white poo colouring.

Never flash them directly. They need their eyes for night hunting.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 20th December 2012 at 05:34 PM.

Real Name
    james

Beautifully done. Your bird pics are tremendous. keep em coming!

Real Name
    Monte Comeau

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback.

@bobo
    I use the Nikon D4 and 400mm 2.8 VR sometimes with 1.4 or 2.0 TC's.
    It is a good combo for this type of photography

Real Name
    Joe

Wonderful images Monte. I'm jealous also, a Great Horned Owl is on my list of birds to shoot.

Real Name
    John

Monte,
    I love them all but for me No.3 is something special.
    Well done.

Real Name
    Orlando

Beautiful photo's. btw, you're kicking my butt in the contest! but I would had voted for ya if I wasn't on it.

Real Name
    Paul

Late to the party, agree with all above, very well done series of some fascinating birds.

Real Name
    Monte Comeau

Thanks everyone Owls are very photogenic with those eyes.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks for the lens info Monte.

I am seriously considering either a 300/2.8 or a 400/2.8 but both are pretty weighty and am worried about being forced onto a tripod. That will surely kill my long walk and shoot excursions and the primary reason why I took up photography in the first place - the exercise! Grrrr

For now will just be sticking to the the 70-300L and hope to just be good enough of a stalker to get closer. Not that our ON weather has been doing us any favours. Only 1 day of sun in December so far and otherwise really dark and/or raining.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Monte,

These are brilliant for wild captures, I particularly like #1 with the unusual pose, about to launch.

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    Hi Tommy,

You can always get some practice in at a wildlife centre or zoo, in some they feature in flying displays, which means they are out of their aviaries.

I just had a look back through this year's shooting and shot several owls flying at each of; Hawk Conservancy Trust, Cotswold Falconry Trust and Woburn Safari Park.

However, for all my practice, my shots don't come close to Monte's above

Cheers,

Real Name
    Monte Comeau

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Thanks for the lens info Monte.

I am seriously considering either a 300/2.8 or a 400/2.8 but both are pretty weighty and am worried about being forced onto a tripod. That will surely kill my long walk and shoot excursions and the primary reason why I took up photography in the first place - the exercise! Grrrr

For now will just be sticking to the the 70-300L and hope to just be good enough of a stalker to get closer. Not that our ON weather has been doing us any favours. Only 1 day of sun in December so far and otherwise really dark and/or raining.
    Yes, the 400 is especially heavy. A ton of glass to get the 2.8 at 400mm. It does have a nice comfy strap with it so it is not so bad to carry. The problem with it is trying to shoot handheld. Very hard to hold up, balanced and steady for more than 15 or 20 seconds. I have this Puffin Pad that works great for a very light weight support.

Real Name
    Monte Comeau

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Monte,

These are brilliant for wild captures, I particularly like #1 with the unusual pose, about to launch.

Hi Tommy,

You can always get some practice in at a wildlife centre or zoo, in some they feature in flying displays, which means they are out of their aviaries.

I just had a look back through this year's shooting and shot several owls flying at each of; Hawk Conservancy Trust, Cotswold Falconry Trust and Woburn Safari Park.

However, for all my practice, my shots don't come close to Monte's above

Cheers,
    Hey Dave, You are spot on about the zoo's....I am planning a trip to the Calgary Zoo in the spring to shoot some Lion's and Tigers and other large beasts. Never tried it before so I am a bit unsure about the fencing etc interfering with shots. And of course if they allow big lenses in at all.