Thread: What's the technique to shoot this type of photo ??

Real Name
    Kaushik

What's the technique to shoot this type of photo ??

Hi all,
    Recently I have seen this image in picasa.
    Link is : https://picasaweb.google.com/1084925...70610276412338

or

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Y...sion%25202.jpg

Now my question is
    1) What's the technique to shoot this type of image ?
    2) Once I have tried fireworks with long exposure but the person who is holding it is also got blurred so how to keep the person unblur and clean? is this done by any post production ? if so then please tell me about it or share a link to get some tutorial / information about it.

Thanks all in advance.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: What's the technique to shoot this type of photo ??

Hello

I don't think I've had a chance to welcome you to CiC. So - welcome. I hope you're enjoying it.

So that you don't continue to get people asking you what your proper name is, because most us use that on here, you can go to Edit Profile and enter your proper name under 'Real Name'. Then it will appear underneath your Username in all your posts. You can also enter your location so that it does the same, just as in my details alongside this message. Then we all know where everyone is in the world.

Now, as to your question. I don't know the answer, but if you click on 'Advanced Search' near the top right of this page and then put 'light painting' into the Key Words box, you'll get quite a few threads that will lots of helpful advice and guidance.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

My guess is that the camera was probably tripod mounted, but other than that, it's probably pretty much straight out of the camera.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 19th December 2012 at 07:11 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi ????,

I believe it will be an exposure of several seconds.

It is obviously a posed/arranged photo and the person waving the firework knows they need to keep the bulk of their body perfectly still and just move their arm. Not too difficult if pre-arranged rather than just shooting someone random who is looning about

I just found the EXIF data (at the bottom of the comments); 30 seconds, f/10, 400 iso shot witha Nikon D90 at 11mm (so probably the Tokina 11-16mm lens).

I am certain one of our members posted their technique for shots like this a few weeks ago, but I cannot find the post. Fairly certain it was a UK member and they shot their son, close up and across a lake too, with a building behind. Maybe it is buried in a P52 thread.

I did find this

Welcome to the CiC forums from ....
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 19th December 2012 at 07:45 PM.

Real Name
    Russell

Real Name
    Bobo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJkBLMhXvcQ

I think the pic referred to by the OP are not fireworks but burning steel wool. Check the vid.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 19th December 2012 at 09:05 PM.

Real Name
    Miltos

A simple idea with difficult excecution to have both blured fireworks motion and and unblured person is to use a long exposure that ends with a flash (second curtain).

The flash light lasts for less than 1/200sec, enought to freeze motion. The requirements here are that the light from the fire doesn't illuminate the person a lot while the flash light only hits the person. The big problem is white balance mismatch for you need to use gels.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by MilT0s; 19th December 2012 at 08:49 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

I have a hunch that the technique used for this image may have included zooming while the shutter is open...

Real Name
    J stands for John

If you have a relatively smooth and quick tracking device then one can move the camera .. in this case driving along a deserted street. 8 second f/5.6 100 ISO .. could probably stopped down a stop or two to better effect.What's the technique to shoot this type of photo ??
    This is after uncreasing the constrast massively in editing.
    And 'Volcano' .. my original play in editing, probably using Paint Shop Pro's Warp Mesh tool, long time ago.

Real Name
    Kaushik

Hi Donald,
    Thanks for the suggestion of updating profile info ...

Real Name
    Kaushik

Hi russellsnr, it's really helpful.. thnks a lot

Hi

If your more curious as what type of long exposure shot this is, it's made from catching steel wool on "fire". If you google or youtube that phrase there are plenty of tutorials on it. My image below is the same technique and is just a demonstration of what it looks like when you spin it around in a circle versus above you.

The simple way to do it is to take a cheap whisk and attach it to a rope or cable. Go out and buy steel wool at the finest grain you can find, the more steel wool fibers the better. Take the steel wool and position it inside the whisk's basket. Now the best way to ignite the steel wool is to use a 9V battery and place both terminals into the steel wool. The steel wool only needs to be grazed for a second to make it smolder. Once it's ignited start spinning it. The steel wool usually lasts for about 25 seconds, which meant I could use a 20 second exposure to capture the image.

Hope that gives some insight on this style of light painting and good luck!