Thread: Oak And Bench

Real Name
    Frank

Oak And Bench

Oak And Bench
    Hi , I'm quite new so if I get this wrong then please let me know...
    I wondered if anybody had any views on this shot and I don't mind the negative one's either..

Real Name
    Tommy

Re: Oak And Bench

Hi Frank and welcome to CiC

When I first looked at your image I thought the composition was quite nice, but the longer I stared at it the more difficult I found it...

When I see an image of a bench like that, I want to imagine myself sitting in it and admiring the view. In this case, not only is the bench blurred out somewhat with the narrow DoF you have employed, but the view from the bench is largely blocked out by the leaves of the oak tree in the foreground. I kind of want to know what is behind the branches that would make me want to go and sit at that bench. In terms of focus and position they are acting as a barrier for me. On that basis it doesn't quite work for me, sorry.

I am sure that others may disagree, and that's what makes this hobby so interesting. And I am also sure that there are many other viewpoints from which to take some great shots of what seems to be a lovely location.

My only other advice would be to go and take this sort of shot at sunrise or sunset, when the light should be much richer and warmer.

Cheers,

Tommy

Real Name
    Frank

Hi Tommy,
    Many thanks for that speedy and incisive reply... just what I was looking for...you have made me think about it in a different way..For me, as I have taken photographs in that area many times,so I know whats behind that tree, but thats why I find your comments excellent,
    those 'other eyes' see other things with a different point of view.
    Regards
    Frank

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Yep, I'd go with Tommy's comments.

Although that tree at the back right acts as a good counterbalance to the close up front left, I wanted to take a couple of steps to the right to change the angle so that the foreground tree and bench were still in it, but I was seeing more out onto teh water, as suggested by Tommy.

So, it's a case, I think, of all the elements in the picture being appropriate. It's just the need to arrange (compose) them that we're commenting on.

Real Name
    Frank

many thanks Donald...have taken what you have said onboard...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

In addition to the comments already made, consider cropping on the right side to display only the shady side of the tree trunk. Doing so makes the image less static for me.