Thread: Storm Scape

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Storm Scape

Here's one from a front coming into Darwin Harbour on the weekend. Not sure if it's too simple a picture but open to C&C.
    Storm Scape

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Storm Scape

That is indeed a front coming in. Not very often (up here anyway) you see it so obviously.

Was that the colour, or is there a bit of a cast on it (maybe that is there deliberately?)

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    That is indeed a front coming in. Not very often (up here anyway) you see it so obviously.

Was that the colour, or is there a bit of a cast on it (maybe that is there deliberately?)
    Hi Donald, we get a lot of these this time of year and I hope to get many more photo's of the different varieties. This is the colour we generally get around dusk, but they can be a very dark grey during the day.

Real Name
    Tommy

That is one hell of a weather phenomena! Awesome!

Not sure what was below the frame, but if you could have captured it so that the rock formation continued to the lower left hand corner, thereby creating a full 'S' shape with the cloud formation then it would have been even more mega! if it's a crop then maybe you could have another go at it. I just feel there isn't enough in the foreground.

Also, check the horizon. I think it needs a CW rotation of a degree or two to straighten it out.

Other than that it's a hell of a capture. Thanks for sharing

Real Name
    Frank Miller

That is an impressive image Wayne! It isn't often that you can capture a weather phenomenon this clearly. Well done.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

This one was taken a bit earlier but I wasn't happy with the composition. The break water didn't work as well as I had hoped in the foreground.
    Storm Scape

That's one spectacular cloud in the second image. The second image has a lot more drama to it than the first one.
    The first image has great composition. I love the way the clouds and the rocks come together to form a s-curve. The picture has a lot of potential, if you fix the blue color cast.
    I would go to town with the clouds in both images and add all sorts of colors to the clouds to make them pop out. If you know how this would be a fun picture to use to experiment with manipulating colors.
    I also think your pictures could make some superb black and white images.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

I think it would look great done in B@W myself.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Thanks all, I will try it in B&W tonight, good idea I think.

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    We had a totally blue sunset yesterday - all blue and shades of white and grey. Driving at the time and no camera so will just wait for another similar day.

Wayne - that is a mighty fine atmospheric capture there. Looking at it reminded me of yesterdays sunset hence the above comment.

Pic needs to be viewed large and that foreground then makes sense.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    We had a totally blue sunset yesterday - all blue and shades of white and grey. Driving at the time and no camera so will just wait for another similar day.

Wayne - that is a mighty fine atmospheric capture there. Looking at it reminded me of yesterdays sunset hence the above comment.

Pic needs to be viewed large and that foreground then makes sense.
    Thanks Bobo,

The colours at this time of year are oftern a Blue/Grey. The variety of them is terrific. My favourite of all colours is what we call "gun metal grey" and it appears in clouds sometimes.

Real Name
    James

Hey Wayne
    As has been remarked there are very interesting colors in this image - when I first saw it I had an immediate picture in my mind - something that I believe would go with this image. Do you mind if I download your image, play with it a bit and re post? Not to improve, just for fun. I promise I won't destroy it
    James
    Last edited by DeepWater; 20th December 2012 at 04:14 AM.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by DeepWater View Post
    Hey Wayne
    As has been remarked there are very interesting colors in this image - when I first saw it I had an immediate picture in my mind - something that I believe would go with this image. Do you mind if I download your image, play with it a bit and re post? Not to improve, just for fun. I promise I won't destroy it
    James
    Hi James, go for it. I'll look forward to seeing it.

Wayne

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Here's a B&W version
    Storm Scape

Real Name
    James

Ok Wayne - here we go - a little explanation first:
    The colors of this image made me think of a night sea scape, and my immediate thought was "wouldn't it be fun to throw the moon in, and some light on the water..."
    One thing lead to another, and 17 layers later - Bob's your Uncle! Just a real quick run down on what I did
    First the moon - then a rectangular marque selection from moon to water - fill with white, transform and blur twice with radial blur set to zoom and about 40 %. Then I added some more light along the bottom with a blank layer set to soft light and a large soft brush. Added some light around the moon - changed the color slightly - several blend modes and layers in here too and finally finished off in Nik silver efex pro 2. Was just a process of trying this and that until I got the effect I liked. One reason I like BnW is when have a color image it's about the colors - when you remove the color, it becomes about the light and light is what makes an image.
    Hope you like it

Storm Scape
    Last edited by DeepWater; 21st December 2012 at 01:33 AM. Reason: add to

Real Name
    Monte Comeau

Wow. Would love to witness that in person. I can almost imagine the lightning bolts dropping down any minute.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by DeepWater View Post
    Ok Wayne - here we go - a little explanation first:
    The colors of this image made me think of a night sea scape, and my immediate thought was "wouldn't it be fun to throw the moon in, and some light on the water..."
    One thing lead to another, and 17 layers later - Bob's your Uncle! Just a real quick run down on what I did
    First the moon - then a rectangular marque selection from moon to water - fill with white, transform and blur twice with radial blur set to zoom and about 40 %. Then I added some more light along the bottom with a blank layer set to soft light and a large soft brush. Added some light around the moon - changed the color slightly - several blend modes and layers in here too and finally finished off in Nik silver efex pro 2. Was just a process of trying this and that until I got the effect I liked. One reason I like BnW is when have a color image it's about the colors - when you remove the color, it becomes about the light and light is what makes an image.
    Hope you like it

Storm Scape
    Wow James, thats PP 101. I have no idea what all that meant that you tried to explain but its a great effect. Thanks for showing me the potential of this photo. I may need to do some courses I think.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by mrme View Post
    Storm Scape
    Storm Scape
    Storm Scape
    Great to see the comparisons next to each other. The middle one is very dramatic. Good fun isnt it?

The middle one is pretty dramatic, but I prefer the calmness of the black and white one the best.