Thread: Eurasian Spoonbill

Real Name
    Bedanta

Eurasian Spoonbill

The exotic variety of the spoonbill (Roseate) Mr. Joe is posting can not be found here. What we have here is the Eurasian variety: a pure white bird with black legs. Here is one of the images I took a few days back, c&c on exposure/composition/pp most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Eurasian Spoonbill

Real Name
    John

Re: Eurasian Spoonbill

Hi Bedanta,
    a very nice shot you have taken here.
    The only 2 things I'm not sure about is the border colour, but that's just a personnel choice and I would have liked to see a little more of the shore-line in the foreground. Over-all very nice.
    John

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Bedanta.

The coloring looks a bit bland and I wondered if you couldn't bring out a bit more richness in the colors of the water and land. I'm not sure, but it looks like the photo was taken in the late afternoon because it appears as if the bird has a golden hue from the Sun. My preference would be to remove some of that color in post processing so the bird shows as a whiter white.

The image does not appear to be tack sharp. Not sure if it was where the camera was focused, slight movement on your part or something else.

Real Name
    Terri

I also think it is a nice shot. I like the contrast of color in the water against the white bird so it was a nice place to photograph. I agree with John that a little more shoreline would be nice. It would lessen the feeling of the feet being cut off even though they are actually hidden by the water. But this is a minor detail. I think it's a great shot.

Real Name
    Joe

Hello Bendanta, thank you for posting this bird. I did not know that India had spoonbills. It is very similar except for the colors, the color in the spoonbills in southern USA is a result of the shrimp they eat. Nice image.

Real Name
    Bedanta

Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    Hello Bendanta, thank you for posting this bird.
    You are most welcome, Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    I did not know that India had spoonbills. It is very similar except for the colors, the color in the spoonbills in southern USA is a result of the shrimp they eat. Nice image.
    So it's the shrimps that make those Roseates so beautifully colorful. Will sure get some shrimps to feed them, who knows?????????

Real Name
    Bedanta

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    I also think it is a nice shot. I like the contrast of color in the water against the white bird so it was a nice place to photograph. I agree with John that a little more shoreline would be nice. It would lessen the feeling of the feet being cut off even though they are actually hidden by the water. But this is a minor detail. I think it's a great shot.
    Thanks Terri. The original does have some more shoreline in the foreground, will try a larger crop.

Real Name
    Bedanta

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Hi Bedanta,
    a very nice shot you have taken here.
    The only 2 things I'm not sure about is the border colour, but that's just a personnel choice and I would have liked to see a little more of the shore-line in the foreground. Over-all very nice.
    John
    Thanks John, the border color is really not going with the image. I normally add a white or black border in most of my images. If none of them looks good, I try a color that more or less matches with the background color of the image. But there is a problem. While selecting a color, I find it very difficult to find and pick the color I am looking for. In that case, I think, it's better not to add a border at all.

Real Name
    Bedanta

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Curtis View Post
    Hi Bedanta.

The coloring looks a bit bland and I wondered if you couldn't bring out a bit more richness in the colors of the water and land. I'm not sure, but it looks like the photo was taken in the late afternoon because it appears as if the bird has a golden hue from the Sun. My preference would be to remove some of that color in post processing so the bird shows as a whiter white.
    Thanks a lot for your feedback, Ken.
    You are right, the photo was taken in the golden light of late afternoon. I am not very good at PP and not sure about how to make the white bird whiter. Will selecting a cooler color temperature (WB) help? Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Curtis View Post
    The image does not appear to be tack sharp. Not sure if it was where the camera was focused, slight movement on your part or something else.
    The softness of the image may be due to the fact that the shot was taken through a fencing that divides the water body (part of the water body is inside the township where I live and the bird was on the other side of the fence). AF was hunting constantly though only the centre focus point was active. Will try another shot tomorrow without a fencing in between, hope that will help in getting a sharper image.