Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A few more from Yosemite

Real Name
    Richard

A few more from Yosemite

A few more shots from a trip to Yosemite. It has been raining like heck and I am homebound so am looking at some old images that I shot but never post processed...

A few more from Yosemite

A few more from Yosemite

This steam engine was used for logging operations near Yosemite National Park, California. It is now used to draw a tourist train...

A few more from Yosemite

My other stuff from Yosemite;
    http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Other/Yos...5480&k=zFjrH3F

Real Name
    John

Re: A few more from Yosemite

Hi Richard,
    a very nice set of pictures IMO; very pleasing to the eye.

Well done and thank you for sharing.

Real Name
    Mark

Love that loco. Steam trains always seem to make good subjects. I'll be going to Yosemite in August, followed by a trip to Utah. Can't wait.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

That is an excellent image of the locomotive (the waterfall pics aren't bad either). Mark - I envy you (again). I suppose because of the Adams connection, I'd love to visit Yosemite and just stand in the spots where some of those iconic images were made.

What worries me though is, as I understand it and have written here before, it's swarming with people. Can you ever get space away from the crowds?

And then there are the images that Chuck (TetonChuck) is putting up from the Grand Tetons area. Having been there 20+ years ago before I got back into photography, Chuck's images are just whetting the appetite to go back.

Real Name
    Richard

Mark...

Yosemite is the most mind boggling place I have ever photographed. It is almost visual overload. BTW: don't just shoot with a wide angle lens, there are lots of opportunities to shoot with longer focal lengths.The amount of beautiful scenery concentrated in the Yosemite Valley is wonderful to behold.

I don't know if you are aware of this but cars are barred from Yosemite Valley during the summer tourist season. Instead, there is a shuttle that drives around from point to point.

A good way to maximize your photo opportunities is to get a guide book. I personally like "Photo Secrets Yosemite" by Andrew Hudson. http://www.amazon.com/PhotoSecrets-Y...words=yosemite

This little inexpensive book is great for planning your travels around the Valley. It is a size that will fit in a photo vest or camera bag and tells you the best times of day to shoot the various spots around Yosemite.

Utah is way up there on my list of beautful states. The book, "Photographing the Southwest: Volume 1--Southern Utah (2nd Ed.)" by Laurent Martres is an indispensible photo guide book to that area...
    http://www.amazon.com/Photographing-...ah+photography

The tourist logging train is outside the National Park on the way to the town of Mariposa...

BTW: ensure you book ahead. Things are crazy crowded in the Summer. It is best to stay in the Park because it is a long way from the Valley to the gate of the park and equally as far to the nearest town. I would guess that Mariposa is 30-40 miles from the Valley and the roads are jammed in the summer.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Nicely done, Richard. Your shots are a whole lot better than many I've seen.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Richard,

All three are very nice. What to you so long to post-process them?

Donald,

If you hike the trails at Yosemite, you'll very quickly get away from the crowds.

Real Name
    Terri

Those are beautiful shots of the waterfall. I'm so jealous because that waterfall was just a trickle when we were there several years ago. That train shot is stunning. No glare, beautiful colors and composition. Great job.