Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wasp vs Locust

Wasp vs Locust

Times when the underdog rises up and wins the day are the stuff of movies. Here in the real world the underdog has recieved a savage thrashing at the hands of a killer wasp and is off to become nourishment for her young. Amongst these shots is another attempt at art. C&C welcome.

Wasp vs Locust
    Wasp vs Locust
    Wasp vs Locust

Real Name
    John

Re: Wasp vs Locust

Good day to you Sir,
    I like shots 1 & 2; with #2 being my favourite.
    #3 I'm not so sure about; but that's just me. I'll be interested in what others have to say.

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Jon

I'm with John on #1 & #2, with #2 being my favorite of the three. The third one.....I keep looking at it, then go away and come back to it...I like it. I am not sure what is drawing me into it but I keep coming back. Nice job.

Some of these solitary wasps are amazing creatures which are capable of tackling prey much bigger than themselves and then dragging back to a burrow.

In the UK I've seen them doing similar things with spiders.

These shots nicely show the full action; including the burrow in the first image.

Real Name
    james

The predator /prey relationship is clearly displayed. I like this series. I am not sure about 3, maybe a play with textures or tones to more" artsy" it.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hello Mr Foreman.

I think #1 and #2 could be significantly improved by reducing the highlights and increasing the levels in the shadows. The background is so bright and distracting, that it is hard for me to concentrate on the bugs. Having said that, you did a great job of capturing the action and these two images tell a true-life story.

I like #3 as an object of art. Here, you've blown out the highlights even more, but as an artistic piece I get the idea of some insect praying on another. The grasshopper being so light in this image does make him more ghostly and dead looking. If this image were printed and given a dark mat, it would certainly stand out.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Nice work Gav, No 2 is particularly sharp and well composed and I like the way No 1 says"Game Over".