Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: How to make a calendar

Real Name
    Jonathan

How to make a calendar

Hello,

I´m not sure if it is the right place to post it but...

I´d like to a calendar. The idea is to put a different image on a different page for each month of the year plus a cover
    Is it possible to do it using Adobe Lightroom? Or do you have other suggestions of free software that can help me?

Thank you very much beforehand =)

Re: How to make a calendar

Well I do produce calendars, Johnathan. But I use a desktop publishing programme which makes everything easy, at least it's easy once you understand how it works.

The software I use is Serif Page Plus. Older versions (PP X2 for example) should be available at a good discount. But any similar software will do the job.

The problem isn't the photo, that's very easy, it's the text which can be difficult.

An alternative would be to copy a calendar text then add your own photos. For example, scan an existing calendar text work as a Tiff or Jpeg. Then it is just a case of creating a new blank page and pasting photos plus text for each month.

I produce an A4 size calendar with half the page being a photo. Just make sure you resize everything correctly before assembly.

For the finishing stages, after printing. I perforate along the top edge of each page just above the photo where I leave a 20 mm gap. Then I punch two holes in each page with a standard office hole punch.

The assembled 12 pages are stapled together in this 20 mm gap.

A cover page, with suitable printed design, is also perforated and hole punched but not stapled. It is pasted onto the other stapled pages along this 20 mm strip. This covers the staples and produces a neater more professional looking result.

And a piece of hanging string is threaded through the punched holes and tied to produce a hanging loop.

And that's all there is to it. One extra service which I offer is personal dates amongst the text dates. Birthdays, anniversaries etc can easily be added to individual pages. I even change the photos around for some people.

I don't make a profit from my calendars because I don't do it commercially; just for friends etc but some now make a donation which covers most of the cost.

ps. with regard to other software, does Open Office have a calendar wizard? I'm not sure.

Real Name
    Alex

Hi Jonathan,

Download the Lightroom templates from this website:

http://www.redphotographic.com/2013-calendar-templates/

Basically you build a print layout using 12 pages, each one with your photo at the top and then the calender month photo at the bottom. It is pretty simple and makes a nice calendar.

Hope this helps.

Alex

Real Name
    Brian

Open Office or Libre Office Draw are what I use. You can make whatever design you want either as 12 individual files or one file with 12 pages. Take your pick.
    I'm making one now. Should be ready by June 2013.

Real Name
    Ken

Office Word, Excel, or Publisher all have templates for calendars. Go to file, new, template, calendar, and then choose the type that you need eg monthly, annual, multi year etc, portrait or landscape. You can use photos as required

Real Name
    Bobo

A simple Google search will bring up lots of free templates for PSE, LR, PS etc.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=2013+c...ient=firefox-a

Real Name
    Scott

We give calendars as gifts every Christmas every year. We started when our 7-year old daughter was born, and now we have 3 little girls and a calendar list of 7 people, including ourselves. It is the perfect gift for grandparents/family.

I have never tried printing one myself. We get them printed from Snapfish these days. You construct it yourself using your photos and their assortment of backgrounds/styles. Takes very little time. Around Christmas (when everyone needs a new calendar) they are only $10 bucks with the "coupon code" they give you. Great quality, and a solid spiral binding.

I am not sure you could print your own for less than that, given the cost of paper and ink/dye, not to mention the templates. And the shipping was startlingly fast. The calendars were delivered in like 4 days, which is 1/2 the time they stated on the website.

Good luck!

Real Name
    Tom

Johnathan, each year our camera club produces our own calenders via the club meetings, we use the free templates supplied by the magazine 'Digital Photo' and process them through Photopshop, hope this helps.

Tom

Real Name
    Jonathan

Thank you all for the suggestions,
    I'll check which option fits best with my goals.

Happy New Year!