Thread: Persistence pays off...

Real Name
    Bobo

Persistence pays off...

Last edited by Bobobird; 14th December 2012 at 07:38 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Persistence pays off...

I admire his determination and, indeed, you've got to think it was worth it seeing those images of the lions.

Real Name
    J stands for John

He should take up radio controlled model boating and ditto camera supervision ... be healthier
    Great photos but for sure there is an easier way.
    r/c and wi-fi?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Great photos, but to be honest, if one were to draw a line between "persistent" and just "stupid", I'd have to say I think he crossed it.

For sure he got some great shots, but were they REALLY worth risking his life for?

Real Name
    Paul

That is some commitment. I think it is a matter of weighing the risks. I am betting he knew the % of risk that was present, and for him it was worth it. I have rode motorcycles most of my life.....is it worth the risk? I say yes, but I do what I can to understand the risks, and I do it for free.

Real Name
    Bobo

In the TIME top 10 picks of 2012, it said that

"Ten percent of all of the photographs made in the entire history of photography were made last year"

http://lightbox.time.com/2012/12/13/...tos-of-2012/#1

In this kind of photographic environment where everything has been photographed to death, it is not surprising that some will need to go to extremes to get his name up there.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    That is some commitment. I think it is a matter of weighing the risks. I am betting he knew the % of risk that was present, and for him it was worth it. I have rode motorcycles most of my life.....is it worth the risk? I say yes, but I do what I can to understand the risks, and I do it for free.
    Hi Paul,

I know what you mean. On a side note, I'd love a motorcycle myself

What makes me think some folks have lost it though is when I hear things like "parachutist and father of 15, breaks every bone in his body". He survives despite being paralysed on one side and having an arm and a leg amputated on the other side - and his first words when he comes around is "it feels great to be alive" followed 3 microseconds later by "I can't wait to get back jumping again".

I just didn't get it ... but now that I've thought about it a lot more over the years ...

... I still don't get it.

In the case of the photographer, what made risking his life be contracting 2 deadly diseases and risking getting munched by wild animals worth a mere photo? Ego trip perhaps?

Real Name
    Miltos

Others just use telephoto lens....

Real Name
    Richard

It seems to me that mounting a camera just above the surface of the watering hole and monitoring it remotely would be a safer way to obtain these images.

I have experienced a couple of "tropical" diseases and parasitic infections during my time running around the boondocks of Southeast Asia and they are definitely no fun.

Additionally, I consider the idea of annoying lions to the point that they may react as pretty dumb...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 15th December 2012 at 04:20 PM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by MilT0s View Post
    Others just use telephoto lens....
    I can just imagine one lion saying to another "you stay here and entertain the idiot with the camera ... whilst I sneak around behind him"