Thread: canon EF-S prime lenses.

Real Name
    Warrick

canon EF-S prime lenses.

For prime lenses on a cropped sensor canon, does it start at 50mm and go up from there, or can you get a 35mm
    lens ?

Thanks

Warrick.

Real Name
    Scott

Re: canon EF-S prime lenses.

There is only one EF-S (Crop) only prime, but all EF lenses (including primes) will work on EF-S (crop) cameras.

Note that it does not work the other way round. EF-S (crop) lenses don't work on Full Frame bodies.

The only prime lens that is just for EF-S is the EF-S 60mm Macro. (which is, of course, a macro lens)

Canon EF primes come in many varieties, from wide angle to normal to telephoto to super-telephoto.

Following is close to a complete list of non-macro Canon primes (in mm's): 14, 20, 22, 24, 28, 35, 40, 50, 85, 100, 135, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 800.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Also –
    Specifically, there are three (3) Canon 35mm lens available new ATM, although I expect that the EF35/2 will be withdrawn soon, but that is only my guess:

EF35F/2
    EF35F/1.4L
    EF35F/2 IS (ordering here ATM)

As already mentioned, all these three "EF" Mount Lenses, will mount on your Canon EOS APS-C Digital Camera.

WW
    Aside - (I think that 22mm is a typo)

Real Name
    Scott

Ah, yes. William is right. The 22mm is an EF-M lens for the mirrorless camera.

You should perhaps consider the new Sigma 35mm for Canon also. For the first time in, well, forever, people are seriously saying Sigma have turned a corner and are producing really nice lenses. The 35 has its own in-lens microfocus adjustment. Only top end cameras have MFA. All the Rebel series (650D, etc.) were out of luck. In past you had to mail your lens AND camera to the lens maker to have your lens precisely calibrated to your camera if there was backfocus or frontfocus. Now Sigma's new 35mm lens lets you fine-adjust the lens yourself. Genius. I hope that is the way of the future. They also dumped that awful "crinkle" finish they used to put on the Sigma lenses.

Check out Roger's interesting take:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012...ew-world-order

and also...

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012...lens-for-canon
    Last edited by Scott Stephen; 14th December 2012 at 01:28 AM.