Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cornicopia

Real Name
    Jon

Cornicopia

On top of the entrance of a grocery store built in 1956, this cornucopia has become a landmark in this town. Closed several years ago, the cornucopia still stands...for now. For many years this building held top honors as the largest free-standing barrel roof in the mid-west. C&C always welcome.

Cornicopia

Cornicopia
    Last edited by Plumcrak; 12th December 2012 at 03:02 AM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Cornicopia

I'm surprised that the colors are still so vivid considering that the store was closed years ago. I do like the color version much better than the black-and-white version.

I'd like to see more space at the bottom of both images, but guess that there would be something bothersome that prevented you from making that decision.

Considering the history and uniqueness of the building, it could be a great subject of a series of images that portray it in different kinds of light, perspectives, etc.

Real Name
    Bobo

One day garish structures such as these will be considered art and given a preservation order. Hopefully they will... It reminds me of days gone by.

Back to the shots - I like the colour version better.

Real Name
    Jon

I am not sure why the color is still so vibrant after this has been in all kinds of weather but I like it too. There has been talk over the years of tearing this building down but the city has always stepped in and said "No", thankfully.

Mike, you asked for a little more room at the bottom...here you go.

Cornicopia

Here is the view of the web of steel that holds this thing together...

Cornicopia

...and on a side note, I am happy to announce that I have my computer back. Now I just have to get used to the bigger screen (went from a 20" to a 36")
    Last edited by Plumcrak; 13th December 2012 at 03:24 AM.

Real Name
    Bobo

Congrats.

36" that is not a monitor it is TV....

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I really do like the color version with the additional space at the bottom. That space provides context and emphasizes the height of the subject.

Notice that the colors aren't as brilliant. That could be due to different post-processing and/or your relationship to the subject. I prefer the more brilliant colors in this case.

Congratulations on getting your computer back.