Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Depth of field on compact cameras

Depth of field on compact cameras

Hi,i am new to photography and i want to ask you a few questions.

I recently discovered CHDK for Canon cameras and i see there are now much many possibilities.
    I'm wondering if it's possible to take pictures like the DSLR cameras.I mean like focusing one from a crowd or something like that.Focusing on a subject and the background go blurry,excepting the macro situations.

I see a lot of options on CHDK software but i don't know how to use those settings on my photos.I don't know what they actually mean and how are they affecting my pictures.

I have a Canon SX100IS..and unfortunately there is no complete CHDK stable software developed.I can't wait to make it work.

Thanks,

Bugsy

Re: Depth of field on compact cameras

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy View Post
    I'm wondering if it's possible to take pictures like the DSLR cameras.I mean like focusing one from a crowd or something like that.Focusing on a subject and the background go blurry
    No it isn’t possible. The DOF issue has to do with the physical size of the lens and aperture. There’s nothing CHDK can do about that.

Review the tutorial on DOF and try out the calculator. The SX100IS has a 1/2.5” sensor, focal lengths between 6.0mm and 60.0mm, and a maximum aperture range from f/2.8 to f/4.3. You’ll find that even with an aperture of f/2.8 the DOF of a subject just 1 meter away is still very large (about 1 meter.) Worst yet, the bulk of the range of acceptable sharpness is behind the subject.

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...h-of-field.htm

Your two solutions are to either get really close to the subject, or use software to blur the background.

Real Name
    Elie

Re: Depth of field on compact cameras

Graystar nailed it.
    However, you would still benefit from shooting RAW and possibly capturing more depth of field.
    I have tried CHDK on my SD1000 - it has some nice other features, like live histgram and battery indicators. Howver, I think your card needs to be 2GB or smaller for auto CHDK load to work. Otherwise you have to reload it everytime you turn the camera on.