Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life

Real Name
    Tom

Life

Hi I'm Tom

I am new to photography in a sense, but certainly new here. Thanks for all the helpful material on the site as well as the inspiring art that everyone posts.

This is a shot I grabbed on my way to work the other morning.

Life

Life

Full Size image is available here - http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-36mghVpOv9...120101-045.jpg

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Life

Hello Tom and welcome to CiC. Thanks for joining and I hope you find being part of this learning a resource a help as well as being fun.

Thanks fof posting up the image. Can I suggest that you post up a larger version. I appreciate you provided a link to the full size image, but I think you'll find that people often like to see something larger on here rather than going to a link. Although things get sized down to 700 pixels (longest edge) to appear in messages, you can post them larger. Then we can click on it to see it in the Lightbox.

By the way, - If you wish you can go to Edit Profile and put in your location, so that it appears in the sidebar alongside your message, just like mine beside this message. Then everybody knows where everybody else is.

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks Donald for directing me in the right area, I have to admit, like all new platforms I was scratching my head a bit

I will take some time and begin to fill in my profile information as well.

Here is the resized image. As I mentioned earlier, I am new to photography so I am certainly open to anyone's suggestions which will help me grow as an artist.

Life
    Last edited by HiImTom; 9th December 2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: <---Horrible with names even when they are right in front of me.

Real Name
    Sergio

I like your image, Tom. I like how you have included the fence with the pelt's and the contrast between the warm colors in the foreground with the cooler colors in the back. It has a very vibrant, rugged mood to it. Well done.

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks unmeritted. I had several other versions of my time there. This was the one I had a print made up of, I wanted to give a gift to the gentleman that let me take pictures on his farm.

I almost feel like it is overdone, but I suppose the vibrancy and contrast add to the mood of the process. I really tried to dig deeper in my thought, how much life is produced from the process of death. What a great life experience, thanks for sharing in it.

Real Name
    John

Hi Tom,
    welcome to CIC.

I like your picture and would certainly like to see it printed 'large'.

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Cheers
    John

The only thing which I would consider changing is a very slight crop from the top and right side.

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks John. I ended up printing it at 5X7 backed with Gator. Now that you mention it, I think you are absolutely right. It is the first time I ordered any prints from them, Nations PhotoLab, so if I don't like it, I will give it to a relative for Christmas and get another copy for him Does anyone have any experience with them? Any printers that stand out above the rest?

Does everyone back themselves? Preferred mediums or articles that explain what and when? I was wondering since this is more expensive than the actual printing, go figure. A friend that is a photographer really advocated Gator, I went with white since I thought the black would really be too much dark with the photo.

Thanks for the feedback Geoff. I think you are right, it is really dark and bland, I will try and alter and see what happens.

I would love to include a few other perspectives from that day, what a blast.
    Last edited by HiImTom; 9th December 2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Fixing my bad grammar and spelling

Real Name
    Tom

This is the original cropped (I hope at least)
    Life

The following are several different perspectives I really liked for different reasons. I am kind of overwhelmed of which one I like the most, lol.

Life

Life

Life

Life

Life

Life

Life

The tighter crops certainly add more details; although at the expense of the overall scene.

But the problem is that the more alternatives you try, the more difficult it becomes to make a decision.

Real Name
    Kenny

great series Tom - I particularly like #3 and the way you have captures the textures of the pelts, the gate and posts which along side the original really transports me there.

Real Name
    Tom

Isn't that the truth Geoff, I find that in almost every aspect of my life, lol. I like less choices

It's funny you say that Coin, I like but #6 drew me in with the whispiness of the hair, wish #3 had the definition but also maintained the scene. Ugh the duality of it all

Thanks all for the kind comments.

Real Name
    Paul

Nice work, I am drawn to #3 and #8. #3 for the same reasons as above and #8 because it give a nice view of the country in where these pelts may have come from.

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks Paul. I received the prints in the mail, they were awesome quality. I wish I ordered them larger though. Next time

Real Name
    Griddi

Hi Tom,

I like #3 very much !

Griddi.......

Real Name
    Tom

Thank you Griddi, I made the same mistake again today, 115 pictures later. How many pictures does everyone take if they are out for several hours on a beautiful morning?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by HiImTom View Post
    How many pictures does everyone take if they are out for several hours on a beautiful morning?
    It depends on whether or not I'm bracketing exposures for an HDR composite or not. The other day I took 700+ in the evening ... and dumped all of them -- just not up to standard.

Real Name
    Tom

Was that 700 the with stacking or not, lol. Your art is beautiful!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by HiImTom View Post
    Was that 700 the with stacking or not, lol. Your art is beautiful!
    Thanks Tom,

A large part of it was simulating a looooooong exposure by taking a shot every 12 seconds (to be stacked later) whilst I waited for a couple of aircraft to land, but the "moving clouds" turned out to be boring, and I learned that I really needed a different angle on the planes.

Such is life

Real Name
    Tom

What is your process after rejection, are you deleting them as you go? Thanks, really curious as I could see that getting out of control very easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast