Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: ipod - Canon G9

  1. #1
    Antonio Correia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Setubal - Portugal
    Posts
    3,743
    Real Name
    António Correia

    ipod - Canon G9

    Hello everybody !

    I need a little help, please.

    I have a 20D, a 5D and a G9. Also an ipod.

    I want to connect the cameras to the ipod (one at a time obviously) to backup the photos.

    Everything goes fine in both 20 and 5 Ds , but on the G9...

    Any tips please ?

    Thank you.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: ipod - Canon G9

    That's an interesting idea Antonio. Are you saying you've already got it working on the 5D abd 20D? Are they in RAW format or JPEG?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA - California
    Posts
    445

    Re: ipod - Canon G9

    I have one of those WFT grips for my 5dmkII that has a usb connection you can backup to any drive...

    How the heck did you manage to connect any cameras to an ipod?

  4. #4
    Antonio Correia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Setubal - Portugal
    Posts
    3,743
    Real Name
    António Correia

    Re: ipod - Canon G9

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    That's an interesting idea Antonio. Are you saying you've already got it working on the 5D abd 20D? Are they in RAW format or JPEG?
    Hello Colin

    This is no solution at all. Don't you ever think so.

    The ipod works with the RAW files and eats them from both 20D and 5D. So far so good. But we can't see them.
    We can only see jpgs.

    But where is the problem ?
    The problem lies on the energy capacity of the ipod.
    The transfer eats all the power, drains the batteries in a few minutes/files.

    I had some 160 images in the 5D and the ipod had been charged one minute ago.
    I connected the camera to the ipod and the transfer began until... until ... the ipod ran out of power.

    And not all the photos were transferred. I don't know how many were in fact transferred because when I wanted to see that information, there was no power.

    You probably know that the ipod can't be connect to the energy at the same time as it transfers because there is only one port/connection, so power and connection at the same time is not possible.

    Unthinkable to work with a ipod as back up.

    Good device but not for this.

  5. #5
    Antonio Correia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Setubal - Portugal
    Posts
    3,743
    Real Name
    António Correia

    Re: ipod - Canon G9

    Quote Originally Posted by KentDub View Post
    I have one of those WFT grips for my 5dmkII that has a usb connection you can backup to any drive... How the heck did you manage to connect any cameras to an ipod?
    The ipod was charging...

    ipod - Canon G9

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: ipod - Canon G9

    Only 1 solution that I can think of -- you need to buy a 1Ds3 so you can use the dual-media capability for in-camera backups.

    You can tell your wife that I said this is indeed necessary, and is thus approved!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA - California
    Posts
    445

    Re: ipod - Canon G9

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Only 1 solution that I can think of -- you need to buy a 1Ds3 so you can use the dual-media capability for in-camera backups.

    You can tell your wife that I said this is indeed necessary, and is thus approved!
    Can you tell my bank that?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: ipod - Canon G9

    Quote Originally Posted by KentDub View Post
    Can you tell my bank that?
    Sure - I always tell banls to give credit where credit is due!

  9. #9
    Antonio Correia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Setubal - Portugal
    Posts
    3,743
    Real Name
    António Correia

    Re: ipod - Canon G9

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Only 1 solution that I can think of -- you need to buy a 1Ds3 so you can use the dual-media capability for in-camera backups...
    Too bulky camera for my taste. Suggestion refused. Sorry.

    I have a better proposal than that.

    Let Apple - they are going to lauch a televition set aren't they ?! - launch a photographic camera to beat the giants with exquisite refinements like navigation in a large screen on the back like in iPhone does and automatic connection to the internet.

    Problem solved.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: ipod - Canon G9

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post

    Let Apple - they are going to lauch a televition set aren't they ?!
    LOL - the problem with an Apple camera is that it would probably only take the photos that it wanted to take! (I'm allowed to say that now that I own an Apple iPhone!) (only people in T-Shirts, and all the shots would have rounded corners)

    Some people do comment on the bulk of the 1Ds3, but I like the solid feel. In reality, it's mostly just the bigger battery. It's really no different to when I had the 20D with a battery grip.

  11. #11
    Antonio Correia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Setubal - Portugal
    Posts
    3,743
    Real Name
    António Correia

    Re: ipod - Canon G9

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    ... Some people do comment on the bulk of the 1Ds3, but I like the solid feel. In reality, it's mostly just the bigger battery. It's really no different to when I had the 20D with a battery grip.
    I don't have a battery grip.
    Somehow I never needed it.


  12. #12

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: ipod - Canon G9

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    I don't have a battery grip.
    Somehow I never needed it.

    Loved mine (on 20D, "built in" on 1Ds3) - wouldn't want to be without one!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •