Thread: American Avocets...

Real Name
    Joe

American Avocets...

I captured these images at Black Point Wildlife Drive, Merrit Island National Wildlife Refuge last week. The migratory birds are arriving in Florida. I do not recall ever seeing this species posted. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

American Avocets...

American Avocets...

American Avocets...

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: American Avocets...

Joe, excellent captures. That beak is something eh?

Now go get some close-up...

Real Name
    Paul

I like the light in 2 and 3 Joe. Great capture of the one taking off in #3. If these have not been cropped I would be tempted to crop it and make just the flyer the subject. Great looking birds.

Real Name
    james

Nicely done Joe ,every now and then do I see an avocet here in east Tn. thanks for posting

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Joe, excellent captures. That beak is something eh?

Now go get some close-up...
    Thanks Bobo, the beak is different having a reverse curve. Designed I am sure for the way they feed. It appears like they are swimming but they really are wading, if the water was much deeper they would not be able to.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    I like the light in 2 and 3 Joe. Great capture of the one taking off in #3. If these have not been cropped I would be tempted to crop it and make just the flyer the subject. Great looking birds.
    Hello Paul, thank you for viewing and commenting. Unfortunately the third image was a crop separating the two birds from others that were nearby.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jamn4ex View Post
    Nicely done Joe ,every now and then do I see an avocet here in east Tn. thanks for posting
    Thanks James, your comments are always appreciated. Tennessee must be one of the places they go to for the summer because I only see them in Florida in the winter.

Real Name
    Gretchen

i really like the angles in the third shot. What is nice is that the "take-off" shot shows action. Sometimes water bird shots can be so boring because there is nothing to indicate the bird are actually doing something. All of these are nice.

Thanks for posting.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by ggt View Post
    i really like the angles in the third shot. What is nice is that the "take-off" shot shows action. Sometimes water bird shots can be so boring because there is nothing to indicate the bird are actually doing something. All of these are nice.

Thanks for posting.
    Hello Gretchen, thank you for viewing and commenting. I like you believe that shots of birds/animals doing something are more interesting. Sometimes they cooperate sometimes not. These Avocets were part of a large group of birds following small crustaceans that they were feeding on, constantly moving and repositioning themselves.