Thread: First Macro Shots with my new Underwater Camera Setup

Real Name
    Karl

First Macro Shots with my new Underwater Camera Setup

I have just purchased the Olympus OMD EM-5 with the 12 -50mm and the 60mm Macro lens and the Nauticam housing for the EM-5 & 60mm lens. This is replacing my Canon G12 setup.

The images below are from my first couple of dives with it last weekend, unfortunately the conditions weren't the best and the visibility of the water was only about 3m max with lots of silt and crud floating in it.

Anyway I was more than happy with my results and I look forward to getting a lot of use out of the camera.

Comments welcomed.

Karl

Seahorse hunting it's breakfast (tiny plankton)

Hermit Crab

Close up of a Lionfish face

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: First Macro Shots with my new Underwater Camera Setup

This is going to be fascinating. I hope you'll keep supplying us with such images. This takes most of us into an environment that we will never experience and shows us things that we would never otherwise see. Keep 'em coming.

Real Name
    Bobo

Yep, keep 'em coming. I have always be fascinated by your underwater shots.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

KEEP THEM COMING! Fantastic shots, Karl.

Real Name
    Bob R

Fascinating world down under. Outstanding.

Real Name
    Bill S

Karl,

Nice shots. If I may make some suggestions...

First, on the seahorse, I feel it might benefit from a 90 degree clockwise rotation (not 100% sure though... twisting my head around is never the same as seeing it rotated). After that, I think the blacks slider could use a bump up a bit (you did shoot in RAW, right?). And then if you really want to get into heavy PP, I'd say try removing the sponge from behind it to provide a clear outline of the seahorse's head.

Second, I really have no suggestions on the hermit crab... you nailed this one perfectly. The focus is right on the eyes and the DoF is just the right amount. You've managed the backscatter nicely, so the exposure is very clean and there is nothing blocking the subject (but you can see the backscatter in the background, but that's pretty well ok - if you want to get rid of that, the blacks slider might help, but I think I like the green background instead of a black one). The colors are just right.

Third, to my eyes, the the colors on the lionfish seem a bit "hot" - maybe over-saturated some might say. However, I think again, the blacks slider might just be the cure you need.

Of course those are all just my opinion, and how I would have processed these. And since I've been out of the water for a month+ now and the next trip is still up in the air (actually just got home from dinner with my dive instructor/trip coordinator), I do have to remind you how your dive photos really make me jealous....and remind you that if you need someone to help carry gear in exchange for room and board and dive fees, I'm your man!

- Bill

Real Name
    Unais C

Awesome shots..! i too like underwater photography

Unaiz

Real Name
    Karl

Hi all,

Thank you for your comments as they are appreciated. I must appolgise though, unfortunately the conditions I dive in are not the best and unfortunately the water is very green and the visibility is greatly reduced as there is lots of silt , crud and floaty bits - bit like trying to photograph in a snow or dust storm and therefore the subjects and therefore the images are not like you get nice nice clear waters - but I try my best.

Bill -thank you for your comments as it is always good to get someone else's perspective and yes I shoot in Raw

The Seahorse didn't want to play the game and was laying horizontal as he was hunting the plankton - I tried the rotate but because I knew what he was doing in my mind it looked wrong - if you know what I mean.

Totaly agree with your comments on the Lionfish and will have a play around later on.

Went out again this morning and unfortunately the conditions weren't any better - hopefully tomorrow it will improve.

Karl

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    I must appolgise though, unfortunately the conditions I dive in are not the best and unfortunately the water is very green and the visibility is greatly reduced as there is lots of silt , crud and floaty bits - bit like trying to photograph in a snow or dust storm and therefore the subjects and therefore the images are not like you get nice nice clear waters - but I try my best.
    Karl,

There is absolutely no reason to apologize here - I personally know those conditions from experience, and the results you're getting in them are fantastic. You're doing all the right things to mitigate those difficulties (ie: getting close, proper strobe aiming, etc). Your description of shooting in a snow storm is exactly spot on... except you forgot to mention that it is like shooting in a snow storm in the dark...

If you're overcoming these challenges in murky water, just think how easy it will be when you get into some clear water.

- Bill

PS: Our dive group is scheduling a trip to Wakatobi in Feb 2014... You should save up and we can meet there and shoot in perfectly clear water!

Real Name
    Bobo

Could'nt help but come back and take another look.

Perhaps the problems are with getting used to the new camera. I remember the ones with the older one and they were 99% outstanding.

Real Name
    Gretchen

ALIENS!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, very cool. I jealous of all the fun you are going to have with the new camera.

Real Name
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Karl,

There is absolutely no reason to apologize here - I personally know those conditions from experience, and the results you're getting in them are fantastic. You're doing all the right things to mitigate those difficulties (ie: getting close, proper strobe aiming, etc). Your description of shooting in a snow storm is exactly spot on... except you forgot to mention that it is like shooting in a snow storm in the dark...

If you're overcoming these challenges in murky water, just think how easy it will be when you get into some clear water.

- Bill

PS: Our dive group is scheduling a trip to Wakatobi in Feb 2014... You should save up and we can meet there and shoot in perfectly clear water!
    You have me tempted

Karl