Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Something to do on a cold day

Real Name
    Keith

Something to do on a cold day

It is, for us, a cold day. Bright but cold, with a westerly blowing straight off the snow covered Pennines a few miles away. Perfect for staying indoors. So, photo editing fitted the bill. I had a picture from inside a working water mill I took a couple of weeks ago so I cloned out the Health and Mickey Mouse notices, where I could, dodged the darker regions to bring out the machinery, but still had some clutter. So I added a layer, pasted the copied image onto that, then desaturated that, added a Layer Mask, Reveal All and carefully painted back the working parts. After flattening the layers I then applied perspective alteration - the column at the left rear does lean. (There is a little motion blur on the crown wheel as it was rotating.)

I like the result, taking out the guard railing so that the workings stand out more.

This is Worsborough Mill, Worsborough Dale, Barnsley.

(Canon 1000D, EF-S 18-55mm lens, no IS, Handheld.)

What does anyone else think? (C&C welcome)

Real Name
    Koos

Re: Something to do on a cold day

Hello Keith,

I like the way you photographed it, but desaturising as part of the picture, makes it unnatural to me. I am interested to see it without the saturasation. This way it might be better.

Real Name
    Lynn

Nice pictures. It would be interesting to see the original so as to observe the changes you made.

Nice camera, the Canon Rebel 1000. It was my first DSLR, and I have very fond memories of it.

I'm curious why you disabled IS on the 18-55mm and shot hand-held? Was that intentional on your part?

You might consider darkening the left-side doorway so as to de-emphasize it.

Real Name
    Keith

Thank you for your comments. This was took a pleasant hour or so to do and helped cement the method in my mind, I hope. I have been back to the image this morning and put the lens correction on the unmasked original, still cloned and dodged.

Lynn - I didn't disable IS on the lens, it doesn't have it. None of my 3 lenses do, I just have to be careful, I suppose I have got used to not having it over the years. Santa will be leaving the IS version along with a 1100D for one of my grandsons soon so I will have to see if that makes a difference, assuming he lets me borrow it. As the mill was running I thought hand held was the best option, you could feel a vibration in the floor.