Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Singh Ray Polarizer

Real Name
    Pat

Singh Ray Polarizer

Hi Folks,
    I have no experience with using a Polarizing filter but am contemplating the purchase of a good one hence the Singh Ray, however the choice between the LB Neutral, LB Warming, and LB Colour Combo, plus thin mount has me confused as to which would be the optimum one to go for, I would like just the one that would cover most situations as financial constraints restrict me to just the one.
    Oh as an after thought what does the abbreviation LB stand for, is it light balance ?
    Thanking You, Best Wishes,
    Pat

Real Name
    Blake

Re: Singh Ray Polarizer

I'm not familiar with this company, but usually "neutral" and "warming" would refer to a coloured filter, which is different than a polarizer. The function of a warming filter is exactly as it says, to "warm" the scene by adding a reddish tinge. A "neutral" filter may be either a neutral density filter or just a protective one.

A polarizer is usually a bit more expensive but well worth the money, and it cuts down on glare. If you're buying a filter for effect I'd highly recommend a polarizer, as they're quite handy.

A warming filter usually isn't necessary with digital photography, especially if you're shooting in raw format, so I wouldn't personally spend the money on it.
    Last edited by blakemcguire; 5th December 2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: corrected a typo

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ollokot View Post
    Oh as an after thought what does the abbreviation LB stand for, is it light balance ?
    "Light & Bright"; normally a CP will cost you 2 stops - these only cost you 1 & 1/3.

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Blake,
    Thank you for your reply, I understand about warming and cooling filters and it seems that these are built into the Singh Ray CP.
    Hi Colin,
    "Light & Bright"; seems the way to go, as you say it will save 2/3 of a stop.
    I suppose the Neutral option would be the best bet, and maybe the thin mount,
    Best Wishes, Pat