Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Old MPL Caboose

Real Name
    Sergio

Old MPL Caboose

I came upon this caboose last weekend while we were out driving some back roads. It is on tracks in a fenced lot adjacent to a home. There is a sign saying "Private Property, Beware of Dog". So I did beware and stayed this side of the fence. Didn't need to have a chunk of my behind taken off. I know it's just a derelict caboose, but I found the old relic interesting. Your thoughts and comments welcome.

Old MPL Caboose

ISO 200, 55mm, f/8.0, 1/400

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Old MPL Caboose

That is a gorgeous piece of equipment. Just a pity you couldn't get in and around out to start exploring angles and details.

On this particular image, I was wondering about a furtehr crop at the to take out the bits of sky we see sneaking through and make it into something like a 2:1 ratio image? I thought that might throw more attention onto the wagon (Caboose is a new word for me. Does that mean a particular type/model of rolling stock).

Real Name
    Sergio

Thank you, Donald, your comment and advice is appreciated.

I too wish I could have gotten across the fence and done more exploring both inside and out. I like your idea of the crop and will try it out when I get home. I'm at work now and these computers have so much security I'm surprised I can even use it.

I grew up hearing the word caboose and knew it to mean the last car on a train. Accorging to Wikipedia "A caboose is a manned American rail transport vehicle coupled at the end of a freight train." I think freight being the operative word.

Thanks again for taking the time to view, comment, and offer helpful advice.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by unmerited View Post
    I grew up hearing the word caboose and knew it to mean the last car on a train. Accorging to Wikipedia "A caboose is a manned American rail transport vehicle coupled at the end of a freight train." I think freight being the operative word.
    Ah! We used to call those things the 'Guard's Van', but 'Caboose' is much a better name.

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

Haven't seen one of these in a long time. I had an uncle that worked with the railroad when I was little and always wondered if he was in the caboose as we watched the trains go by. Sometimes there would be someone there to wave to as it went by. Wonder if the owner would hold the dog and let you take pictures from different angles. It is a lovely old car.

Real Name
    Sergio

Quote Originally Posted by CLK View Post
    Haven't seen one of these in a long time. I had an uncle that worked with the railroad when I was little and always wondered if he was in the caboose as we watched the trains go by. Sometimes there would be someone there to wave to as it went by. Wonder if the owner would hold the dog and let you take pictures from different angles. It is a lovely old car.
    Connie, that's a neat story about your uncle and how you wondered if he was in the caboose when you'd watch a train go by. I didn't have any relatives who worked for the railroad but I always wanted to jump aboard one and see where it would take me. Thanks for your comments and recollection.

I have thought about going back and seeing if the owners would hold back their dog or at least feed it someone else while I take a look around.