Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: From Florence - part 5 - Pigeons

Real Name
    Miltos

From Florence - part 5 - Pigeons

This time some pigeons are incorporated in the shots in the search for something differents from the standard Florence shots. Well at least in #13, #14 just shows some pigeons taking a bath....

#13 was shot from the top of the Uffizi gallery. Uffizi is one of the oldest and most famous art museums of the Western world. Among other masterpieces one can admire The Birth of Venus, a breathtaking painting by Botticeli.

In the background slightly out of focus you can see some details of Palazzo Vecchio, the town hall of Florence. In particular you can see some city symbols just above the main entrance of the building. In the center it's the Florentine fleurs-de-lis, the coat of arms of the city.
    From wikipedia:
    In Florentine fleurs-de-lis, the stamens are always posed between the petals. This heraldic charge is often known as the Florentine lily to distinguish it from the conventional design.
    What I found interesting is that the St George's Cross is also there. There so many places around the worls that use this coat of arms including Georgia (the east European country), Aragon, Genoa, Barcelona and of course England. But according to wikipedia:
    The cross is also found, for various reasons, on the provincial flag of Huesca, Zaragoza and Teruel (the 3 provinces of Aragón) as well as the municipal flag for numerous cities, including Montreal, Almería, Milan, Genoa, Padua, Zadar and Freiburg im Breisgau. It is also the basis for the Four Moors flag of Sardinia. Guernsey was permitted to use it as its state flag between 1936 and 1985.
    It's a famous symbol indeed!

As for #14 I would like to know your opinion about this ""artistic approach"".

Thank you for your time everyone.

The whole set can be found in my site.

Part 1 - The River
    Part 2 - The Duomo
    Part 3 - Love Padlocks
    Part 4 - The Haze
    Part 6 - Shadows
    Part 7 - Abstracts
    Part 8 - Black&Whites

Last edited by MilT0s; 9th December 2012 at 03:39 PM.

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: From Florence - part 5 - Pigeons

I was wondering when you would get round to the pigeons.

Regarding 14, it is an interesting perspective and I quite like how you took the shot.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

For me, #14 outclasses #13 by a wide margin. Perfect composition!

Real Name
    Miltos

Thank you guys!

I am glad you liked #14.