Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: D7000 to CSC

Real Name
    Paul

D7000 to CSC

I'am thinking of Downsizing from my current Nikon D7000 with various lenses to a CSC system setup because i have been suffering from aching wrists and i wish to carry on taking photo's BUT i don't want to lose out on the image quality and everything that goes with using a D7000 and i also wish to be able to use my Neewar home studio kit with it. This has been a hard decision because i am Nikon through and through But the D7000 is getting too heavy to carry around and hold even with a Blackrapid shoulder strap.

My question is this which CSC system would i be able to move to while keeping all the above points without going over roughly £800??

Paul.

Real Name
    Pete

Re: D7000 to CSC

I have no idea what a neewar home studio kit is ......

What type of stuff do you shoot? Do you like zooms or are you fine with primes? What lenses do you use now. I assume a viewfinder is essential?

£800 is really pushing it if you need a viewfinder and more than a kit zoom.

also no mirrorless system will give you the autofocus of a dSLR for continuous focus..... and the battery life is worse!

That said I've got rid of my dSLR!
    Last edited by thequacksoflife; 2nd December 2012 at 08:31 PM.

Real Name
    Paul

I mainly shoot Street photography, Architecture, Landscapes, Sport and some Portraits although i would love to do some wedding photography at some point. On the whole i use my 70-200mm, wide angle, and 50mm lens as for the Battery life buying a backup battery would not be a problem.
    I am loathe to get rid of my D7000 atm it is just a case of weighing up the pro's and cons of which would be best.

By the way i meant to say it is Neewer not Neewar studio kit and i bought it off Amazon... woops

Real Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by salemslot View Post
    I mainly shoot Street photography, Architecture, Landscapes, Sport and some Portraits although i would love to do some wedding photography at some point. On the whole i use my 70-200mm, wide angle, and 50mm lens as for the Battery life buying a backup battery would not be a problem.
    I am loathe to get rid of my D7000 atm it is just a case of weighing up the pro's and cons of which would be best.

By the way i meant to say it is Neewer not Neewar studio kit and i bought it off Amazon... woops
    alas I think you are going to struggle to replicate that for £800. D7000 is approx £700, a 70-200 will be £1500 and say another £800 for the wide angle and 50mm. So you have the best part of £3000 of gear (assuming it's all Nikon) I'm sure any system I suggest for that price wouldn't satisfy you.

However.......

Panasonic G3 with 14-42 and 45-200 is £499 you could add an Olympus 45 f1.8 for £219. Essentially you have an 18-55 and 55-200 (well bit more length) kit. Alround competent but..... The 45mm gets rave reviews.

It won't match the d7000 at higher ISO levels or continuous autofocus.

Panasonic G3 with 14-42 (£319), Panasonic 14mm f2.5 (190 on amazon at the mo), Panasonic 20mm (250 on amazon at the mo), Oly 45mm f1.8 (219) goes over budget but you have 3 cracking prime lenses which will compensate a bit for high iso.

You can get very close to the image quality you have with m4/3 but the Olympus E-m5 is over budget even without lenses and the other Olympus cameras don't have view finders and when you factor that in with the simple controls they have....

Sony NEX6 with 16-50 lens (£820). The sensor is the 16mp one in your D7000 (or very similar). Autofocus will not match the d7000.

Also none of the mirrorless cameras are sports cameras. They may talk about fast autofocus but what they mean is Single not continuous.

In terms of image quality the Fuji X-E1 will be a bit better than you've got at higher ISOs (it's certainly better than the Canon 18mp ones based on a friends shots) but even with the 18-55 f2.8-4 will be over budget and the auto-focus will probably irritate you!

dump the Neewer kit - it must surely weigh ten times the weight of the camera - I don't see how you carry that around but not the camera ?

Real Name
    Paul

Thank-you all of you for your help and pointers about me "downsizing" from my D7000 kit but after yet longer thought, your pointers and talking to a couple of Togger friends i have decided to keep the Nikon setup. Thankyou once again for all your advice and help.

Paul.