Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Breakfast for a bee

Real Name
    Jerry

Breakfast for a bee

New doesn't even begin to describe my situation. I have had point and shoots but never really got into photography until recently. Two days ago I got a T3i and started reading. I took this photo this morning outside of my parents house. I would really appreciate any and all C + C. The only PP I did to this image was a crop and resize.

Deets:
    18-55mm in macro
    f5.6
    1/400
    ISO-100
    CPL filter

Breakfast for a bee

Real Name
    Miltos

Re: Breakfast for a bee

Hello you without name.

In few seconds probably Donald is going to welcome you and ask you to enter your real name in your profile .

An interesting photo you got.

I think there is an intense yellow color cast and the background is a bit cluttered.

Keep in mind you can enhance your image with the proper post processing (e.g. sharpening and contrast).

Real Name
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by MilT0s View Post
    In few seconds probably Donald is going to welcome you and ask you to enter your real name in your profile .
    Thanks! Profile edited!!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Spazmodo View Post
    Thanks! Profile edited!!
    Phew - Saves me having to get out my whip again!

Welcome, Jerry. Great to have you here.

Real Name
    randy

I think that the first this is a nice 'first shot', the exposure is good and colors. I suspect that you were trying to capture the bee visiting the flower. Unfortunately, the bee is out of focus and my eye is drawn to the in focus flower. A crop of the flower actually might not be a bad crop. As you progress in your journey, I recommend continuing to post on this site with further shots and questions. You will find many helpful individuals that will walk you through the process in a courteous manner. I recommend that you update your profile with your first name and location, as that is just the way we are

Oh shoot.........they beat me to it

Real Name
    Jerry

Miltos:

Thanks for the comments and suggestion. I played around with contrast and sharpening a bit.

Breakfast for a bee

Real Name
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by rtbaum View Post
    I think that the first this is a nice 'first shot', the exposure is good and colors. I suspect that you were trying to capture the bee visiting the flower. Unfortunately, the bee is out of focus and my eye is drawn to the in focus flower. A crop of the flower actually might not be a bad crop. As you progress in your journey, I recommend continuing to post on this site with further shots and questions. You will find many helpful individuals that will walk you through the process in a courteous manner. I recommend that you update your profile with your first name and location, as that is just the way we are

Oh shoot.........they beat me to it
    Thanks!! That bee was a challenge. Funny thing about bees..they don't sit still for photos!!

The alternative edit is too much for me. There isn't much wrong with the first one.

I would crop a little tighter though, from the bottom and sides, to help with reducing the background clutter.

With this type of shot, I normally do a selective sharpen so the main subject (flower) is sharpened and not the background. But this does require suitable software and a little bit of expertise.

Real Name
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    The alternative edit is too much for me. There isn't much wrong with the first one.

I would crop a little tighter though, from the bottom and sides, to help with reducing the background clutter.

With this type of shot, I normally do a selective sharpen so the main subject (flower) is sharpened and not the background. But this does require suitable software and a little bit of expertise.
    Right now all I have is gimp and a little bit of experience with it. I'm learning but I obviously have a bit of a curve.

A some more adjustment based on your suggestions.

Breakfast for a bee

That is more like it, Jerry.

ps. Nothing wrong with Gimp, many CinC members use it very successfully. Some do say that it takes a little more learning than some other software though.

Real Name
    randy

Ok now, this looks much better!

Real Name
    Greg

That last effort is heaps better Jerry, well done. I'm just wondering the yellow cast is from the cpl filter? In my very limited experience they are tricky things to get right.

Real Name
    Miltos

Jerry the tighter crop is much better I think.

More PP suggestions: reduce the color cast, reduce the noise, selectively sharpen the bee more than the rest.