Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On a Wing & a Prayer

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

On a Wing & a Prayer

(Click for larger view)

Tonights creation. As it gets darker, it get's colder. You know that -- I know that -- so why didn't I bring a warm jacket

On a Wing & a Prayer

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: On a Wing & a Prayer

Please tell us about what the image is and how you decided upon the caption.

Real Name
    Sergio

I like it, Colin. Subtle yet majestic. Where was this taken from?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

It may not be a "guess what it is" thread, but if it is what I think it is, not many will have seen one before.

My initial though was "beach sun shades", but then I realised it is (I think) a circular array of aircraft navigation antenna on a high plateau? (VOR)

I like the clouds where the sea should be.

My theory would seem to be supported by the image title (and knowing your aviation background).

Given their size, I guess they could be pixie sunshades

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 1st December 2012 at 05:50 PM.

Real Name
    Bobo

That is ONE impressive image.

Real Name
    Robin

Agreed!

Real Name
    Miltos

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    My initial though was "beach sun shades", but then I realised it is (I think) a circular array of aircraft navigation antenna on a high plateau? (VOR)
    What was exactly my though.

A beach.

No it looks like a space station.

Ahh... it's a circular antenna array (come on it's Collin!).

Thank you for driving us into this exploration Collin.

Fantastic clouds and mood.

Real Name

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the kind words

Dave - yes - it's a VOR (well done!) - there's also a wee bit of meteorological gear in the shot too.

For those who aren't familiar with VORs, they're an aircraft navigational aid that allows pilots to know their POSITION relative to the beacon (unlike another type to aid called an NDB that only gives the aircraft's HEADING relative to the beacon) (and is thus subject to errors because the aircraft's heading is usually different from it's direction due to a correction needed for any degree of cross wind). Personally, I was always a GPS man, but VORs came a close second -- and I usually had both dialled in (when you're about to pilot a plane over 100 miles of water there's something very comforting when 2 GPSes - 2 VORs - an NDB and 2 compasses all tell you to go in the same direction!).

So that's how I came up with the name -- the "wing" from the folks flying up there - and the "prayer" was just part of the saying, but seemed appropriate considering the "turbulent" sky.

Unfortunately a stiff cold wind came up and I forgot to bring a warm jacket, but I did manage to get a couple of Zippo hand warmers to fire up which helped a bit!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    So that's how I came up with the name -- the "wing" from the folks flying up there - and the "prayer" was just part of the saying, but seemed appropriate considering the "turbulent" sky.
    Now that I understand the image, perhaps the prayer is that the darn VORs actually work.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I have a weakness for silhouettes against sunset, so pretty much any will suit me fine. But this is particularly nice with the subtly visible foreground detail. Great sky, I think you did well not to saturate the colour and there is loads of texture to the cloud.

I must admit I laughed when you said it was cold. My wife had spoken to her Dad in New Plymouth and he said it was about 20C. I had come in from snowplowing my road and it is minus 18C. While I was out there I was thinking"This isn't bad, the wind has dropped off; it feels half decent" But I suppose, there is a world of difference because I was dressed for it and cold acclimatized; whereas you were probably neither.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

A+ Mr Southern.

The sky is superb and something worthy of study by all who aspire to making this type of image. It is, is it not, very much of case of a) nature having to be helpful and providing the right sky (patterns, light); b) knowing how to capture it; c) knowing how then to get the best out of it in post-processing?

And, I'd suggest, that most folks on here could do it .......... if they're prepared to put it in the work to learn and acquire the knowledge and skills. An image like this doesn't happen by chance.

Real Name
    Koos

This a great picture with a great atmosphere and beautifull colors.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    I have a weakness for silhouettes against sunset, so pretty much any will suit me fine. But this is particularly nice with the subtly visible foreground detail. Great sky, I think you did well not to saturate the colour and there is loads of texture to the cloud.

I must admit I laughed when you said it was cold. My wife had spoken to her Dad in New Plymouth and he said it was about 20C. I had come in from snowplowing my road and it is minus 18C. While I was out there I was thinking"This isn't bad, the wind has dropped off; it feels half decent" But I suppose, there is a world of difference because I was dressed for it and cold acclimatized; whereas you were probably neither.
    Thanks Trevor,

New Plymouth as in New Plymouth, New Zealand? (If so, it's my home town -- I'll be there to visit my 91 year old Mum for a couple of weeks in less than 3 weeks!)

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    A+ Mr Southern.

The sky is superb and something worthy of study by all who aspire to making this type of image. It is, is it not, very much of case of a) nature having to be helpful and providing the right sky (patterns, light); b) knowing how to capture it; c) knowing how then to get the best out of it in post-processing?

And, I'd suggest, that most folks on here could do it .......... if they're prepared to put it in the work to learn and acquire the knowledge and skills. An image like this doesn't happen by chance.
    Thank you Mr. MacKenzie

Yeah - pretty much all 3 to be honest. Really a case of ...

- Recognising conditions that MIGHT have the potential for a good shot.

- Figuring out a composition that might work (which is all of experience - experimentation - and a bit of luck)

- Capturing is relatively straight-forward (I was bracketing in case I needed to use HDR, so was spoilt for choice when it came to exposures), although there's still a "link" that needs to work between "seeing what I'm seeing" and translating that into "something worth saving".

- Processing is another dimension too; the basic techniques aren't hard, but it's very much an image where one needs to make the right choices of when to push quite hard (but not too hard) (eg sharpening) and when not to push too hard (eg saturation) - and even little things like hue changes make a BIG difference. Good when it all comes together though

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by easternlight View Post
    This a great picture with a great atmosphere and beautifull colors.
    Thanks Koos

Real Name
    Greg

I love this photo. The sky is incredible and not knowing what the rest of it was just added to the intrigue. I find the shot inspirational. Well done, indedd, Colin

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    A+ Mr Southern.

An image like this doesn't happen by chance.
    The mind's eye sees it.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    I love this photo. The sky is incredible and not knowing what the rest of it was just added to the intrigue. I find the shot inspirational. Well done, indedd, Colin
    Thanks Greg

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Thanks Trevor,

New Plymouth as in New Plymouth, New Zealand? (If so, it's my home town -- I'll be there to visit my 91 year old Mum for a couple of weeks in less than 3 weeks!)
    Yes Colin; the same town. My. wife's dad married a girl from New Plymouth. They would go to New Zealand every four or five years to visit and he fell in love with the country. They moved back eight years ago. She has since died of breast cancer but he has stayed on. I am going In February for a month in conjunction with the world veterinary conference. Really looking forward to it.
    Last edited by tbob; 2nd December 2012 at 07:38 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    .... in conjunction with the world veterinary conference.
    Where you might meet up with Mark (markvetnz). I know he's in Antartica at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast