Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Portrait

Real Name
    Andrew

Portrait

Hi all - please give me your feedback on this portrait attempt. I used 3 580EXII's to light it. The key light is in a small LiteDome softbox above the head, camera left. It triggers two slaves - 1 in front of the subject below and facing up, and 2, behind the subject at about shoulder level on a stand.

I am fairly happy with the result - it's meant to be edgy, so of course I'm not disappointed with the harsh shadows, and grainy kind of feel. I am disappointed in the poor outcome of the 3rd light behind the subject. I was really hoping I would get more of a haloing-rim light effect. It didn't happen. You can see it mildly around the arms, but not nearly what I was hoping for. I'd keep trying too if it weren't for 12 sets of dead AA's!! Guess I shouldn't leave my Bowen's at the shop huh?

Thanks for any input!!

Portrait

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Portrait

I like the idea and the image. If I had to pick an area to think about changing for the better....it would be a tiny bit less light on the upper face/forehead. That forehead area apears a bit blown. I like that the face has a good amount of light for some nice detail and nice shadow but perhaps a touch less would be the ticket. Well done.

Real Name
    Miltos

A very nice portrait .

I agree with Paul that the area between and above the eyes is more intense that the eyes, it "should" be the other way.

A crop around the head would also make a nice (and different) image.

Real Name
    Andrew

Thank you gentlemen! I have taken both of your advice, and just using an adjustment brush to tame the bright light in the areas you mentioned. It does look better, and makes the eyes pop even more.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Real Name
    Andrew

Any better?
    Portrait