Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Photographers Wanted

Real Name
    Divya

Photographers Wanted

OK I have received a message from photography competitions network inviting photographers around the world to submit their photos. It's a world wide competition and photos will be exhibited in New York, Times Square. Here is the original email that I got

To the photographers and image-makers: you are invited to celebrate your creative passion with an international community of over half a million members on See.Me.

To inaugurate our global launch, we're offering over $125,000 in awards to inspired creators like you. (psst, it's free to join!). The entries are closing in 22hrs 25min

Here is the link http://www.see.me/photography?f=sm01...m_medium=email

I see many beautiful photos here, so I posted this. Hope it helps

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Photographers Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    OK I have received a message from photography competitions network inviting photographers around the world to submit their photos. It's a world wide competition and photos will be exhibited in New York, Times Square. Here is the original email that I got
    With respect, I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole. Sounds extremely dodgy to me.

If you go under the hood you'll see that the competitions are open to Pro members only. And, guess what, Pro membership costs $70. Now there's a co-incidence.

Real Name
    Andrew

But Donald, if you join NOW, you can sign up for $50!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)
    As they say ...

... "Follow the money"!

Completely agree with Donald. The Times Square prize is decided by "the amount of support" - meaning the amount of dummy accounts you can create to vote for yourself. The others all require pro membership.

Oh and as creativity is so important in photography you can win a prize just for entering before the early entry deadline. Setting short deadlines and offering incentives if you hurry to sign up (before you can think about it) are classic pressure selling tactics.

On the plus side they aren't trying to claim ownership of copyright and promise not to sell your images to third parties.

"All professional members who enter by the deadline will be printed in our fourth internationally distributed publication: "The Story of the Creative"."

Ah - I was looking for something like that and, sure enough, there it was - as the last item, at the bottom of the page.

"Vanity Press": pay your money, they publish your photos, or poems, or stories... and then they charge you for any copies you want to have for yourself! Quite a lucrative business model, by all accounts; but the only people looking at your work are the other people who have also paid to have their work appear.