Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments

... or so they say anyway!

(Click for larger view)

Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments

It's definitely a keeper but your other similar image seems more dramatic to me.

Real Name
    Bill S

Colin,

I hate to say it, but this just doesn't work for me. I don't know if I'm a bit more critical based on many of your previous posts, but I'm just not connecting with this one.

Between the overlapping elements of the bridge deck and the trees in the background that prevents any kind of strong line on that axis of the photo, and then the heavy pole on the left so close to the edge of the frame, yet cut off at the top of the frame... I just can't seem to move my way through the image smoothly.

Hopefully that's just me and others can educate me...

- Bill

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Bill,

For me, the subject is the group of pink clouds nicely framed by the suspension wires. The other elements that you mention add interest rather than get in the way. Just my way of looking at it and certainly not intended to educate you, as you put it.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Sorry Colin: I agree with Bill. The clouds just are not a strong enough element to prevent the eye sweeping through the image following the lines of the clouds and wires either off to the right or up and out to the left. The most prominent object is the pole and it somewhat jarringly arrests the lines before you reach the left side and disrupts the calm feeling of the rest of the composition.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the feedback!

I like it

I know what you all mean about the trees interfering with the lines through the photo - but ...

(a) "Unfortunately", the darned things ARE actually there, and there's no practical way to not get them in the shot; I was pretty much down at ground level ... any lower and I get vegetation in front of the lens ... and the only other way to avoid them would be to actually shoot from in the river under the bridge ... and that would have put the bridge solhouette waaaaaay higher than the pink cloud.

(b) Having just said all that ... I think that if the trees weren't there the shot may look a bit "sterile"

... or in other words, now that they're there, I kinda like them there

It was just one of those shots that was more a reflection of "a nice scene at the time" than one with "exceptional artistic merits" (that's my excuse anyway )
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 29th November 2012 at 12:23 AM.