Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bobcat...

Real Name
    Joe

Bobcat...

Today my wife and I were finally in the right place at the right time. I had seen tracks and scat from a bobcat and also been told by others who had seen it, that a bobocat inhabited the marsh where we do most of our photography. Today we saw and photographed it. We were photographing a Little Green Heron through an opening in the brush. The heron spooked and flew away. As if an apparition the bobcat appeared and walked to about 25 feet from us, staring up the embankment at us while wagging it's stubby tail. The heavy brush did not allow for a clear full shot of the body. Below are posted captures from that sequence of events. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

The Little Green Heron that started it all... I show the trees to show the small opening we were shooting through.

Bobcat...

The Bobcat...

Bobcat...

Bobcat...
    Last edited by jprzybyla; 28th November 2012 at 12:14 PM.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Bobcat...

Way to be in the right place at the right time, Joe! Pretty little cat. That Green Heron just upsets me! It took me all summer to find one, I found two and when I can spot them I can not get within 75 yrds unless it is raining and the go up under the bush where I can't shoot them. A very frustrating little bird here.
    You have caught him sharp and with great color, well done.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Way to be in the right place at the right time, Joe! Pretty little cat. That Green Heron just upsets me! It took me all summer to find one, I found two and when I can spot them I can not get within 75 yrds unless it is raining and the go up under the bush where I can't shoot them. A very frustrating little bird here.
    You have caught him sharp and with great color, well done.
    Thanks Paul. With your love of bird photogaphy you would love central Florida... a bird photographers paradise. There are so many people that walk the trails in the nature reserves that the birds become accustomed to people being around. So it is quite easy to approach them close.

Real Name
    Bobo

What a great catch, wow!

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks Bobo, very much appreciated.

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Joe,
    Interesting story and nice sequence of pictures.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Antonio.

Real Name
    Chuck

Joe, a beautiful catch. It doesn't bother me in the least that the body fades away. Cat eyes are just beautiful and you captured that. Congratulations.

Real Name
    Steve

Very nice shooting on both subjects. With any animal, including the human kind, the face and especially the eyes are most important and you've captured that beautifully. I think if you had tried to include the full length of the bobcat you would also have brought the BG into focus which would have diminished the impact of the images. Just my ¢¢.

Real Name
    james

I am so jealous....way to take advantage of an opportunity. ANd that Heron is a beautiful bird . I wonder if we have them in Tennessee?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

So finally we get to see Bobo's cat

Seriously, well done with these captures Joe

Cheers,

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Two very well caught creatures. The blurred out foreground vegetation doesn't detract at all because the main subject is so dominant. Really gives a feeling of the dense environment.

Pretty impressive. I don't know much about bobcats but if they are anything like lynx then to actually get one in a position where you can photograph it in the wild is a very rare event. Most probably a once in multiple lifetimes event

Real Name
    Miltos

What an experience! Very nice.

According to wikipedia bobcats are the North America Lynx, so probably as Trevor mentioned it should be really hard to see one let alone to take a sharp well exposured and composed photo of it!

So Joe there is no much to critique about. Given the difficulties of the subject this is a tremendous capture.

Real Name
    Bobo

What happened??? I distinctly remember that the "bobo"cat was further back and more in the foliage. Must be the jetlag....

Dave - LOL. My better half is phobic to anything with 4 legs so it was either her or a cat or dog. My favourite cat is the one that lives next to my friend's place. Totally black, my friend's is totally white. When put together they always remind me of a wedding.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Antony View Post
    Joe,
    Interesting story and nice sequence of pictures.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Antonio.
    Thank you Antonio, your viewing and comment is very much appreciated.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Teton Chuck View Post
    Joe, a beautiful catch. It doesn't bother me in the least that the body fades away. Cat eyes are just beautiful and you captured that. Congratulations.
    Thanks Chuck, I only had a small opening to shoot through and fortunately the Bobcat's face filled it. The body fading away is the camera focusing through vegatation.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by wtlwdwgn View Post
    Very nice shooting on both subjects. With any animal, including the human kind, the face and especially the eyes are most important and you've captured that beautifully. I think if you had tried to include the full length of the bobcat you would also have brought the BG into focus which would have diminished the impact of the images. Just my ¢¢.
    Thank you Steve for viewing and commenting. I wish I could say I planned the image that way but the truth is I did not have many options because of thick vegatation. Focus on the face and shoot, that was all I could do.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jamn4ex View Post
    I am so jealous....way to take advantage of an opportunity. ANd that Heron is a beautiful bird . I wonder if we have them in Tennessee?
    Thank you James, your comment is very much appreciated. My Stokes Field Guide To Birds indicates that the Little Green Heron's range include Tennessee.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    So finally we get to see Bobo's cat

Seriously, well done with these captures Joe

Cheers,
    Your comment and veiwing are very much appreciated, thank you Dave.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Two very well caught creatures. The blurred out foreground vegetation doesn't detract at all because the main subject is so dominant. Really gives a feeling of the dense environment.

Pretty impressive. I don't know much about bobcats but if they are anything like lynx then to actually get one in a position where you can photograph it in the wild is a very rare event. Most probably a once in multiple lifetimes event
    Thank you for viewing and commenting Trevor. I have been photographing in that nature reserve dozens of times, at different times of day and not seen the Bobcat. I think it was happening to be in the right place at the right time and most likely will never happen again. As you say... once in multiple lifetimes event.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by MilT0s View Post
    What an experience! Very nice.

According to wikipedia bobcats are the North America Lynx, so probably as Trevor mentioned it should be really hard to see one let alone to take a sharp well exposured and composed photo of it!

So Joe there is no much to critique about. Given the difficulties of the subject this is a tremendous capture.
    Thank you Miltos, I appreciate your taking time to view and comment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast