Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sharp-Shinned Hawk

Real Name
    Paul

Sharp-Shinned Hawk

Stopped for a quick break from work today and found this little Hawk. He did not stick around long. The second image is just as I found him a second time. He was having none of it.

Sharp-Shinned Hawk

Sharp-Shinned Hawk

Real Name
    james

Re: Sharp-Shinned Hawk

Hi Paul I have one that stalks my bird feeders. I have not been fortunate enough to capture him though, seems like he only comes in if my camera is put up. The second image breaks all the rules. ( and looks good doing it) I like that crop , maybe if only because you never see the space behind the bird.

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks James. That second one was all I caughtt in the image! lol The rest was blue sky above. These bottom two corners are uncropped, darn near missed him. I was surprised when he jumped and even more surprised when I got him fully in the frame. lol They are quick.

Hope you get some chances at yours, they are pretty quick when they want to be.

Real Name
    Debbie

I love hawks. I appreciate the challenge to get the two photos.....its not like you're going to sneak up on him The first one is a pretty awesome pose and look at the body position in the second one, just amazing. Glad you clicked when you did. Thanks for posting these.

Real Name
    Roger

Love the shot, good job!

Real Name
    Paul

Thank you Debbie, no there is no sneaking up on these guys. You just have to move slow and pretend not to pay attention to them, then hope he humors you! When he jumped it caught me off gaurd, no wing spread...nothing....just a bullet! lol

Thank you, Roger.

Real Name
    Bobo

Great captures Paul. Have to be seen in lightbox for full effect.

In #2 you can give him a bit more headroom by extending the canvas on the left. The bottom should'nt be too difficult either.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 27th November 2012 at 03:39 AM.

Real Name
    Zen

Hi Paul,

We have a Cooper's hunting at our bird feeders, and know when he'll be in the area when all the birds, squirrels and chippies disappear. Got a quick shot thru the double pane glass that's not worth anything except to remind us he in the area. They are super fast and wary . . .

Great shots, especially the unusual one on the wing.

Zen

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Bobo, and yes I could....but my wildlife shots remain as is other than cropping or removal of a twig or unsightly garbage left by the not so thoughtful.

Thanks Zen, can't remember if I posted it last week or not but I caught a Cooper's behind me while I was busy catching a Mallard/Pintail cross. I couldn't spin around enough times fast enough. lol They are quite fast. Great birds.
    Last edited by jeeperman; 27th November 2012 at 06:58 AM.