Thread: Mountain waterfall

Real Name
    Kenny

Mountain waterfall

Long exposure of Waterfall. What do you think?

[IMG]Mountain waterfall[/IMG]

Canon 50D
    Canon 17-55mm
    F16 4s ISO100

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Mountain waterfall

Kenny

I don't usually think of going as long as 4 seconds on a shot like this as I like to retain texture and detail in the water and not let it go completely 'fluffy'. However, the water flow is not great in this shot and I think it can carry a 4-second shot; i.e. we are not getting a completely white wall of fluffy water. So, yes. good stuff.

I think you've done a very good job on the exposure. There's a brightness and lightness to the whole scene. It's not dull and drab.

The one thing I wonder about is the left hand side. If you look at the area that takes up almost the left-hand third of the frame and is made up mainly of rock and a bit of foliage at the top - Do you think it adds anything into the image? If that wasn't there and you cropped just to the left of the left-most white water, what are you left with - a stronger or a weaker image?

Real Name
    Kenny

Re: Mountain waterfall

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Kenny

I don't usually think of going as long as 4 seconds on a shot like this as I like to retain texture and detail in the water and not let it go completely 'fluffy'. However, the water flow is not great in this shot and I think it can carry a 4-second shot; i.e. we are not getting a completely white wall of fluffy water. So, yes. good stuff.

I think you've done a very good job on the exposure. There's a brightness and lightness to the whole scene. It's not dull and drab.

The one thing I wonder about is the left hand side. If you look at the area that takes up almost the left-hand third of the frame and is made up mainly of rock and a bit of foliage at the top - Do you think it adds anything into the image? If that wasn't there and you cropped just to the left of the left-most white water, what are you left with - a stronger or a weaker image?
    Thanks Donald. I was going for as much of a cliche waterfall shot as I could, so trying to make it fluffy . You are right, the shot would look much better cropped like that. I took it in as much as I could without losing the front bit where the water flows down. Now I think sacrificing the rest of the image for that part was not a good idea.