Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame or

Real Name
    Bobo

Frame or

Frame or not frame, that is the question!

Which one looks better to you. I like the simplicity of no frames but having experimented with this frame do quite like it also.

Comments, opinions, stones about the processing and presentation welcomes and appreciated as well.

Thanks for viewing.

Frame or

Frame or

Real Name
    John

Re: Frame or

Hi Bobo
    To frame, or not to frame: that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    the frame and boarders of outrageous fortune,
    Or to take arms against the members who do not like frames.......

That's enough of that , I like the picture with the frame, for me it just finishes a nice piece of work.
    Well done mate.

But if mounted in a photo frame with a suitable border the first image would probably make the best print.

Roses often fail to make good photos; but no worries in this case, everything works perfectly.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

"What's in a frame? That which we call a rose by any other frame would smell as sweet" (in my defence; John started this)

By which I mean; nice images. Pushed to it I would go the no frame route. I prefer the simplicity.

Real Name
    Sergio

Beautifully captured Roses, Bobo. For viewing on my monitor I like both versions with a slight preference for the second. However, Geoff does have a point if it's going to be printed.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The reason this frame works so well is that you chose a style that complements the image. Too often the frame that is chosen competes with the image rather than enhance it as this one does.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Dave, Geoff, Trevor, Sergio, Mike.

Appreciate the kind comments (and literature reminders )

About #2, it was done as a simulation of what #1 may look like if printed and framed.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 25th November 2012 at 05:17 PM.

Real Name
    Andrew

Like Geoff said, it would look good with proper matting and framing but edges on the print like this one represent the notion of "snapshot" to me.
    Last edited by Andrew1; 25th November 2012 at 04:35 PM.

Real Name
    Bill S

Bobo,

Normally I hate frames, but they work here. Either image is a winner for me.

- Bill

Real Name
    Steve

I like the frame bobo. It makes an image look more finished.

I don't understand what people are talking about printing the image? Both of the images are scaled down for the net, and "obviously" wouldn't be printed. A full resolution copy without a frame would be printed.

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    I don't understand what people are talking about printing the image? Both of the images are scaled down for the net, and "obviously" wouldn't be printed. A full resolution copy without a frame would be printed.
    Agreed...

If you're printing, you don't print the frame, you use mat board and make the frame that way. Frames like this for web use are just to reproduce that effect on a digital level.

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1 View Post
    Like Geoff said, it would look good with proper matting and framing but edges on the print like this one represent the notion of "snapshot" to me.
    Thanks Andrew but you lost me there. Can you please elaborate? Thanks.

Thanks Bill, Steve. I have previously had prints made for friends who want them but I have no idea how they are framed or mounted.

This particular one I am going to have the print done at a lab and then take it to a framer to finish it off. This will going onto my own wall.

Btw - I have seen at some exhibitions where the frame is printed along with the image and mounted on foam board which is then stuck onto the display panels.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 25th November 2012 at 05:04 PM.

Real Name
    Dave

Dumb question, but what software do folks use to add a frame?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Thanks Andrew but you lost me there. Can you please elaborate? Thanks.

Thanks Bill, Steve. I have previously had prints made for friends who want them but I have no idea how they are framed or mounted.

This particular one I am going to have the print done at a lab and then take it to a framer to finish it off. This will going onto my own wall.

Btw - I have seen at some exhibitions where the frame is printed along with the image and mounted on foam board which is then stuck onto the display panels.

I just started to frame my own images. ( It's kind of fun to create an image start to finish yourself. ) Framing really isn't that hard to do. I bought a small matt cutter for $100 at a craft store and just started doing it. (for what you pay someone to do a couple image, you can buy everything you need to do it yourself) The same craft store sells : mounting strips/ linen hinging tape/frame sealing tape/matting/backing board. You can even buy precut matts for standard print sizes. (for example an 11 x 14 matt cut for an 8 x 10 print.)

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Dumb question, but what software do folks use to add a frame?
    No dumb questions here.................photoshop or elements or gimp and alot of others will work. If you can work in layers, you can add a frame. What software are you using? Also, instead of hijacking bobo's thread, start a new one and someone will tell you how to make a frame for your images. (the image post processing section would be the place to post it, to get the most help)

Real Name
    Bobo

Not dumb at all.

Mostly one would make frames with the same editing software. Unless you use frames a lot and have s standard frame for your it maybe worth the extra effort to create an action that can applied to your images without having to do one from scratch each time. The simpler alternative is to download some of the millions of free frame actions out there and just experiment.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Steve. That sounds like a great idea. I will check the craft stores after I get back home.

Real Name
    Gretchen

I've been playing a lot with framing as well.

One thing I really like for shots like this is to just bevel the edge --10 pixels are so. It give a finished look with out distracting from the subject.

There is a frame option in PSE that is a clear or mirror edge. It might work nicely as well.

If you are talking about actual physical frames --no I'd use one of those frameless glass thingys. or a black frame with a black matte.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Gretchen. I too was thinking of black frame, black matte. Frameless glass never crossed my mind. Thanks for the tip.

Real Name
    Andrew

Is it too late to comment? You may have already made up your mind!! Firstly, no frame does it for me, unless you're going black like you suggested just above.

Secondly - I've just started photographing flowers, and I'm jealous. Very nice image. If you're trying to one-up me, I think you should stick to shooting birds, so you don't make me look bad!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast