Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Marlow Mist

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Marlow Mist

Friday afternoon saw a thick fog bank descend on the River Thames and gave me a good opportunity to experiment with my camera. I would be interested in your comments on how successful I have been.

Please view at largest size for full effect.

Marlow Mist
    Marlow Weir in Swirling Mist

Marlow Mist
    Marlow Bridge in Mist

Real Name
    Jeff

Re: Marlow Mist

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I would be interested in your comments on how successful I have been.

Very, I'd say. You have captured the mood very well, & have got me nostalgic for England, which takes a lot !

I personally prefer the 1st one - it might have been better if the headstone did not partially obscure the hotel, buts a minor issue. Well done !

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Chris,

I pounced on these as soon as I saw the title (and of course, was fairly certain it would be you)

#1:
    I like the empathy (if that's the correct word) between the gravestones and the weir piles
    It is well exposed and nicely processed - e.g. you avoided oversharpening the windows across the river

I just wonder about a slightly higher viewpoint to give a bit more (but not compleat ) vertical separation of the tops of gravestones from those weir piles?
    This is something I would try (perhaps you did and it didn't work as well)
    Equally it might not have been possible (without climbing on something handy )

#2:
    This looks to be a tough one - a lot of contrast between the hazy sun sky and the shadow side of the gravestones in the right foreground - at some point in processing, I fear some detail (I'd like to see) was lost here, but I can also see from the histogram that the black point is lifted as high as you dare.
    Deciding the best white balance of these backlit shots is always tricky, nothing is going to be technically correct for the entire image, because of the different light sources illuminating different bits of the shot - to me this feels like it might be better with just a hint less cyan - but that may be my viewing conditions, so don't take my word for it. Also, too much red would destroy the 'atmosphere', which yes, you did capture well.
    I like the composition and again, the sky is well exposed and the mist between the distant trees is great.
    Also nicely sharpened.

Rebecca and I took some misty shots around Marlow last winter, I don't think we ever published them (in mine, nothing stood out as being great compositions). I have never really ventured into the church grounds/graveyard, so the views are different.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thanks both for your comments. Dave - getting to the right height will be difficult but I understand what you mean. Next time you are in Marlow and have some spare time All Saints - Marlow is well worth a visit as is All Saints - Bisham

I've always said that foggy scenes need a good clear 'reference point' in the foreground to prevent them simply looking out of focus.

You have excellent foreground here. Possibly the sky in #2 looks a bit pale but I doubt if anything else could be done with it.

Real Name
    Steve

I think you captured the fog very well chris. I would like to see the tree at left cropped out, and an equal amount of the right side added, to show the whole building.

Real Name
    Steve

Shooting with a bright sky is a real challenge. I think a graduated neutral filter either on camera or in software would have allowed the exposure to be more even and brought out more detail in the sky. Otherwise you've got two really good images here with a lot of potential. Just my ¢¢ or is that pence?

Real Name
    Kevin

Chris,

Really nice images. I think Steve's suggestion is a good one. I had a quick play with a graduated filter, reducing the exposure,decreasing highlights, and adding a touch of saturation and contrast. I'll take it down if you'd rather. Regardless, the sky has some nice magenta that is well reflected in the water.

Marlow Mist
    Last edited by kdoc856; 25th November 2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: typo correction

Real Name
    Steve

I'm glad you posted that kevin, because i couldn't see the second image, only a red x. Very nice image chris. I can't comment because i'm looking at kevin's version instead of yours.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Very nicely done Chris. That first one in particular really knocks me out. I keep coming back for another look. You have to look at it full size to fully appreciate it but it has a "special" appeal which I can't adequately describe.

Dave

PS I couldn't see the secomd image either - at least not on my tablet - but I can see it on my desktop. Very strange !!

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thank you all for your comments. Kevin - great edit. I am sorry some of you did not see the second image - it is strange because I camn see it on both my PC and I-pad. When I have some spare time I will have another go at improving both images.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Just catching up after having been away over the weekend.

That first one is a beauty. Amazing clarity. Sharpened to perfection, in my view, and every detail brought our wonderfully. I think the composition works well, with the branches of the tree on the left balancing up the building on the right.

I feel that section of riverbank at the bottom right of the second one doesn't work so well and causes a bit of imbalance.
    Last edited by Donald; 26th November 2012 at 10:53 AM.