Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: I made a mess of this

  1. #1
    rawill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southland - New Zealand
    Posts
    472
    Real Name
    Robin

    I made a mess of this

    I could not take this photo without the lines getting in the way.

    I am trying to remove them and have made a bit of a mess.
    It is proving to be quite a mission.

    I have used FastStone and Capture NX2.

    How would others approach this ?

    I made a mess of this

  2. #2
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: I made a mess of this

    Quote Originally Posted by rawill View Post
    How would others approach this?
    I am using Photoshop CS5 Robin. Usually I just use the clone tool, however, in this case I would know that I will want to remove the wires in post processing so I would take a second image from a slightly higher or lower angle then align both images which would put the wires at different heights across the images. I could then simply paint out the wires using layers and a mask.

    I used that technique here: Project 52 by Frank Miller to remove wires and tree branches,...

    ...and again here: Project 52 by Frank Miller and here: Project 52 by Frank Miller to remove light poles.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Athens GR
    Posts
    121
    Real Name
    Patrik

    Re: I made a mess of this

    Robin,
    As Frank in using photoshop CS5 or CS6, the easiest way to remove the lines is to use the Spot Healing Brush Tool with Content Aware ticked. This works perfectly on thin lines. If needed you may have to use short strokes and do them more than once.
    Patrik

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC
    Posts
    17,909

    Re: I made a mess of this

    I have been using Capture NX and NX2 for years and can assure you that the product can't be used to reliably remove the unwanted pixels. That's because it has no clone tool that allows you to determine the source pixels that are to be used to replace the unwanted pixels. I keep a copy of Photoshop Elements because it's cheap for use on images such as this once I have completed all other post-processing tasks using NX2.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    247
    Real Name
    Keith

    Re: I made a mess of this

    You could load up the Gimp Robin and use it's clone tool. It is a very powerful free program and I have done exactly what you want to do with it many times.

  6. #6
    rawill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southland - New Zealand
    Posts
    472
    Real Name
    Robin

    Re: I made a mess of this

    I have done a bit more playing with the photo and used FastStone in some place to repair some of the damage I did (on a copy!~!) it has what I consider so far to be a good source selection tool.

    I will check out GIMP.

  7. #7
    rawill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southland - New Zealand
    Posts
    472
    Real Name
    Robin

    Re: I made a mess of this

    Quote Originally Posted by KCBrecks View Post
    You could load up the Gimp Robin and use it's clone tool. It is a very powerful free program and I have done exactly what you want to do with it many times.
    I had a quick play with the clone tool, and yes it seems good.
    However on save it saves to its own extension that will not open up again in Capture NX2, is there a way to fix this?

  8. #8
    jeeperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle Washington
    Posts
    3,550
    Real Name
    Paul

    Re: I made a mess of this

    Robin, when useing Gimp....do not save. Use export and it will give you the options you need for Tiff or Jpeg. It does have a nice clone tool.

  9. #9
    rawill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southland - New Zealand
    Posts
    472
    Real Name
    Robin

    Re: I made a mess of this

    Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Robin, when useing Gimp....do not save. Use export and it will give you the options you need for Tiff or Jpeg. It does have a nice clone tool.
    So it does, thank you.

  10. #10
    rawill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southland - New Zealand
    Posts
    472
    Real Name
    Robin

    Re: I made a mess of this

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    I am using Photoshop CS5 Robin. Usually I just use the clone tool, however, in this case I would know that I will want to remove the wires in post processing so I would take a second image from a slightly higher or lower angle then align both images which would put the wires at different heights across the images. I could then simply paint out the wires using layers and a mask.

    I used that technique here: Project 52 by Frank Miller to remove wires and tree branches,...

    ...and again here: Project 52 by Frank Miller and here: Project 52 by Frank Miller to remove light poles.
    Well I can't easily go back and do this. The photo was taken in Brno.
    However I have a few photos of this Cathedral, from attempting to get a photo with minimal lines cluttering the best look of the Cathedral.

    I had a another go at cloning the lines out and making a few colour adjustments. I think I overdid boosting the red though.

    I made a mess of this

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •