Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cold sunrise

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Cold sunrise

I would appreciate critique and opinions on this. I cropped the bottom as it was quite out of focus. I am not sure if that was the right decision so I have given both versions. As well; I used the healing tool in Aperture to tone down the rising sun. Needed or not?

Cold sunrise

The original

Cold sunrise

And for those who wish to muck about with the image and/or give me pointers on what I could have done better and/or if i was too heavy handed with the colour saturation and white balance; the out of camera version

Cold sunrise

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Cold sunrise

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    I would appreciate critique and opinions on this. I cropped the bottom as it was quite out of focus. I am not sure if that was the right decision so I have given both versions. As well; I used the healing tool in Aperture to tone down the rising sun. Needed or not?

Cold sunrise

I like your choice of crop although I may have left a bit more sky in and by leaving it in you would definitely have to tone down the sun as you obviously suspect.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 24th November 2012 at 09:31 PM.

Real Name
    Terri

I like your crop better too. It's a nice composition with the different angles of the hills and trees.

OK Trevor, I have tried to retain a 3 x 2 ratio; but possibly your crop is better.

Cold sunrise

Added a Curves Adjustment Layer with the mask edited to selectively apply the effects. Set the layer blend mode to Luminosity.

This has created a more yellow colder feel but changing the layer blend mode will produce a more golden effect.

Created a duplicate layer from the background image. Sharpened the layer and added a hide all mask. Edited the mask so the sharpening was selectively applied with more on the foreground.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 24th November 2012 at 09:47 PM.

Real Name
    Stephen Campton-Jones

I like the original, it has nicer contrast - in my opinion. Number 1 is number 1.
    Stephen

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I appreciate the input. I like to see how other people interpret the image, thanks Geoff.

I wish I could have had a straight horizon line and the front in focus but this was one of those "take it now or never" moments as I caught this just as I crested a hill. Two seconds later the sun was up and so bright is obliterated the scene if shooting directly into the sun. I tried slightly oblique shots to avoid the disc of the sun; I think the word garbage best describes those images.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by stephencamptonjones View Post
    I like the original, it has nicer contrast - in my opinion. Number 1 is number 1.
    Stephen
    I agree. The warm glow is nice but the coldness is better captured by the blue cast. One of those instances where I suspect my manipulation should have stopped earlier. When I removed all the manipulations to post the straight out of camera image I thought "I like this as much if not more than the crop". Except the vile out of focus foreground and horizon.

Real Name
    james

Trevor I like your treatment best. I would hang that shot in my hall.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Trevor, seeing the original and what you have done, I would say that for my taste, you made all the right choices. From here on out you can get a number of alternative views and maybe, just maybe you'll find one that you like better. For today though, I wouldn't fret as IMHO you already have a winner. Nice capture and processing.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Trevor, seeing the original and what you have done, I would say that for my taste, you made all the right choices. From here on out you can get a number of alternative views and maybe, just maybe you'll find one that you like better. For today though, I wouldn't fret as IMHO you already have a winner. Nice capture and processing.
    I waffle to and fro but I tend more to the crop first image. Thanks for complement.

As for the capture; ain't serendipity great. If I had not swung the camera up as almost a reflex, or if I had stayed two seconds longer to get another picture of the old barn I went to shoot; then I would not have the image I am most pleased of from that morning.