Thread: Ferry Terminal and Depot

Real Name
    Jason

Ferry Terminal and Depot

Hey guys,

I stopped again on my way home after work tonight and took some photos of the NY Waterway terminal in Port imperial. I found the mixed lighting to be rather challenging in both of these shots.

Ferry Terminal and Depot

A short walk away is the ferry depot. I also tried an HDR of this image but I didn't like the result or its possible I'm doing something wrong. Either way I found this one exposure to work just fine.

Ferry Terminal and Depot

cc always,

Jason
    Last edited by Rhoads238; 24th November 2012 at 07:07 AM.

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Ferry Terminal and Depot

Wow, you're right about giving yourself a challenge. In the first image the bright lights reflecting in the water keep dragging my eyes to the left and I can't see all the details in the rest of the shot. Again in the second image the lights in the center are too bright and I can't see all the details there either. Perhaps if you could lower the levels of the brightest highlights? Just my ¢¢.

Yes certainly a challenge to retain detail in the foreground without the bright water reflection over exposing, as Steve mentioned.

Other than HDR, your only option would have been to expose for the brightest lights, in the water, then try to recover details from the dark areas by creating two conversions from a Raw shot with different 'exposure' settings then combine them as layers with masks.

Is it possible to delicately clone a little bit of detail over those problem areas and tone them down a little?

I've never been that successful with natural looking auto HDR either. Hence my comments and post here. Auto HDR compared with manual HDR editing

Also see one of the latest images (Misty Morning) in my Project 52 thread where an auto HDR produced false colours so I used an alternative method with layers and masks.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 24th November 2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: link added

Real Name
    Jason

Geoff, I think I am going to give your method a spin.

I think I am going to post the hdr even though I am not pleased with the result. It may just be that I don't really like hdr or that I am doing something wrong. Probably a bit of each.

Ferry Terminal and Depot

I think might have to go back and have another go with these shots. I drive past every day, so I'm sure the opportunity will arise soon enough.

-Jason