Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Late Fall NE Ohio

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Late Fall NE Ohio

All comments welcomed.

Late Fall NE Ohio

Karm

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Late Fall NE Ohio

The lighting is superb giving rich warm tones. Blank skies are always a problem and especially so when reflected in the water. (makes cheating twice as difficult) Maybe an HDR technique would have solved it. If it was mine I would like it enough to try and copy an appropriate sky in. Maybe from a shot taken at nearly the same time but better exposed for the sky.

It looks like there were plenty of photographic opportunities at the location. A serene feel to it.

Real Name
    Tommy

I agree with everything Paul has said but would also like to add a couple of things.

Firstly, I believe it needs around a 1 degree clockwise rotation to level it off correctly. As it stands it is leaning down to the left. Secondly, I think that with these perfect mirror image reflections you need to have at least the same amount of space above the line of reflection as below it, but ideally about the same (unless there was a magnificent sky to show off and not enough water to reflect it in). But in this case I think it should be equal. Your image is cropped too tightly at the top and there is subsequently more sky in the reflection.

You should certainly revisit this scene at sunrise / sunset to try for a better sky and as Paul said it looks like a place very rich in photographic opportunities.

Thanks for sharing

Real Name
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Karm Redland View Post
    All comments welcomed.

Late Fall NE Ohio

Karm
    The composition does not work for me, its right hand heavy. The trees are cut off both at the top & bottom & the parts of the image that are not sky or water are too central for my taste.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Sorry for not responding to comments on this photo -- I've been swamped at work. I agree with or see why all critical comments were made. However, I posted this photo because there's things about it I like such as its color and lighting. I am not bothered by the trees being cut off or the fact that the sky and water reflections are unequal. I agree that the picture is heavy on the right side. However, I love the lighting on the outcrop. I will try and tilt the picture a bit to the right.

Thanks for all comments.

Karm

Late Fall NE Ohio