Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lighting Question

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Lighting Question

Even if one were to photograph in Black and White – with respect to the question asked, that would not necessarily be a suitable solution.

There would still be mixed colour temperature lighting: this is the crux if the question.

The rendering of the grey tones would NOT be consistent, across the scene.

Less noticeably so than if one were shooting in colour, perhaps, maybe even not noticed: but possibly noticed.

WW

I do wonder where is Kneichion?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post

I do wonder where is Kneichion?
    Long gone I suspect.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Bit hard to photograph in B&W these days.

Not hard, just expensive.

WW

Real Name

Meh - may just as well shoot JPEG on a 300D with picture style set to mono

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Troglodyte!

Have a great day -

Cheers,

Bill

Real Name

Troglodyte!

Have a great day -

Cheers,

Bill
    Gastrominioushydropod!

You too

I have exactly the same issue as the original poster, I am trying to offer customers the 'Vintage Hollywood' style of portraiture, can I achieve this with flash guns instead of the redheads? thanks

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Yes, you can.

Making a particular Lighting Set with Studio Flash to re-produce a Style or Genre take learning, skill and experience - my advice is to take a Practical Course or a Master-class in Studio Lighting (depending upon your present level of skill and your experience), but before you sign up, ensure that this Genre of Set Lighting will be covered and explained to you.

WW

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Reds View Post
    Hi Richard - lovely image of your father - that's original vintage ;-) and a great pose. Your Maltese dog image is great too - perfectly exposed for the detail in the fur.

Back to modelling lights on strobes - I only really find them useful as a focusing aid, i.e. to have some light on the subject to AF with. Unless the room is really dark, the're not so much use as a wysiwyg, say if shooting when there's lots of ambient light about. I can get an idea of the lighting - but you never fully know until you fire the flash. Maybe I should turn up the modelling lights a bit and try again !
    Nick, when I shoot portraits with modeling light equipped studio strobes, I usually shoot in a pretty dark room with the modeling light as basically the only illumination. That way, the modeling light provides a good indication of the lighting for the portrait. I will admit, however, that some modeling lights are not absolutely accurate in their rendition of what the flash exposure will look like...

However, I have little if any hesitation in mixing daylight value light sources when shooting dogs. These portraits were shot with three different lights: a 430EX bounced off the ceiling and modified with a Demb Flash Diffuser Pro, a 4-compact daylight fluorescent softbox and a daylight Ottlight on the background. I balance the white using a WhiBal Card. My normal exposure is 1/60 second at f/4 using ISO 160.

Lighting Question

Lighting Question

I leave the softbox all set up next to the armchair (covered with a fleece drape) on which I pose the dogs. The Ottlight is my wife's reading light next to that chair and I always have the 430EX setup on my camera with the Demb Flash Diffuser Pro to modify the flash. Since I average more than one dog per day, having the site set up is really easy for me...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 21st October 2014 at 01:31 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12