Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: So, I took these now in RAW......

Real Name
    Griddi

So, I took these now in RAW......

These cactus flower's flower just for one day in my garden, so as they did open all together this morning I took quickly these photo's, and I even took them in RAW format, as before I alway's claimed there is no difference between JPEG and RAW files, so please tell me what you think about these ?

I have only a very basic RAW converter software, and I still have to learn more......

Thank you for looking, and perhaps commenting....

Griddi....

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: So, I took these now in RAW......

Quote Originally Posted by just me View Post
    I alway's claimed there is no difference between JPEG and RAW files
    There will always be differences between a JPEG capture that the camera processes, and a RAW capture that someone else processes, just as there will always be differences between a cake that you buy at a bakery and one that you bake yourself after purchasing the ingredients. "Different" doesn't necessarily mean "better" nor "worse though. If the camera does a good job with it's chosen settings then the camera JPEG may well look better - on the other hand, if you have the wrong camera picture style selected - or other camera setting incorrectly set - or you do a good job in post-processing - you'll probably get a better result with the RAW capture.

please tell me what you think about these ?
    They look pretty good to me - I would suggest a little output sharpening though (they appear a little soft).

Real Name
    Griddi

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    There will always be differences between a JPEG capture that the camera processes, and a RAW capture that someone else processes, just as there will always be differences between a cake that you buy at a bakery and one that you bake yourself after purchasing the ingredients. "Different" doesn't necessarily mean "better" nor "worse though. If the camera does a good job with it's chosen settings then the camera JPEG may well look better - on the other hand, if you have the wrong camera picture style selected - or other camera setting incorrectly set - or you do a good job in post-processing - you'll probably get a better result with the RAW capture.

They look pretty good to me - I would suggest a little output sharpening though (they appear a little soft).
    Thank you Colin, I agree that they could a bit sharper, so what about these ?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Thank you Colin, I agree that they could a bit sharper, so what about these ?
    A wee bit over-sharpened I'm afraid. Try going between the two. Probably something in the order of a USM of around 200% @ 0.3px.

Real Name
    Bobo

Very nice shots.

Sharper versions look good too though maybe a shade overdone.

Flowers have many variations of "hardness" and texture so it is always best to sharpen in moderation to keep the natural look. Too much sharpening will make them look like plastic flowers. Too little and the key elements do not pop.

Real Name
    Griddi

Thank you.......

Colin I thought so myself too, that the second set is a bit oversharped, so I tried , if only at the moment with one photo again, perhaps third time lucky ?

Real Name
    Bobo

Much better imho,

Real Name
    Griddi

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Much better imho,
    Thank you Bobo, I only started to edit in RAW 2 day's ago, still have lot's to learn........

Griddi......

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you Bobo, I only started to edit in RAW 2 day's ago, still have lot's to learn........
    And that's what's so wonderful and so frustrating, both at the same time. You will, I guarantee it, go through the feeling of, "This is really stupid. I'll never learn all this stuff. It's far easier to let the camera do it. And all these people who go on about shooting RAW need to get out and get a life."

But, I guarantee as well, you will also reach the point of feeling you have reached an entirely new and higher level of understanding about photography and feel you are in control of your images. If, then, you decide to shoot in JPEG for specific purposes, fine. But it will be something you're doing through choice.

Real Name
    Keith

I said much the same as you Griddi at the beginning of the year when I got the current camera which would shot in RAW - why bother when the camera produces exactly what I want in jPeg's and when I edit a RAW file it turns out just the same as the jPeg. Then I gave it a serious try just a couple of months ago. The guru's were right, again, and there is so much more you can do to the RAW file than there is with the Jpeg. One thing I find really good is being able to alter the White Balance which can give your pictures a very different look. The pictures will also look so much sharper in RAW, without looking over sharpened. Straightening up, trimming and cloning are all available. I use the RAW + Fine setting on the camera and would only change that if I needed to use the burst mode.

I hadn't used RAW for 10 years and wasn't bothered that the cameras didn't produce them but now, thanks to CiC and the Canon DPP progam RAW it is. As Donald says, it is good to feel that you are a little more in control of your photographs.

Your cactus flower pictures are beautiful - such a pretty pink. They might only flower for a day but what a day!

Real Name
    Griddi

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    And that's what's so wonderful and so frustrating, both at the same time. You will, I guarantee it, go through the feeling of, "This is really stupid. I'll never learn all this stuff. It's far easier to let the camera do it. And all these people who go on about shooting RAW need to get out and get a life."

But, I guarantee as well, you will also reach the point of feeling you have reached an entirely new and higher level of understanding about photography and feel you are in control of your images. If, then, you decide to shoot in JPEG for specific purposes, fine. But it will be something you're doing through choice.
    Donald thank you very much for your comments, I am not so sure if I wll think shooting RAW is stupid, with all the extra learning involved, the reason I was not shooting in RAW, that I could not see any difference in a photo from JPEG Vs RAW.......

But now that I have started to shoot in RAW, it is with me sort of a case " I once was blind, but now I see "
    and I am very sure I will stay on with shooting in RAW......

I still have lot's more to learn, also I consider perhaps to get a better RAW converter software, both my camera's Fuji X100 and Olympus E - M5 came with RAW converter software.....

For the Fuji it is " Silkypric " which is not so bad, but the " Olympus Viewer 2 " is very basic, and Silkpric does not adopt the RAW's from Olympus......

So perhaps it is time to get a software which is better, and which also adopt more camera's brands, photoshop would perhaps for me a bit to complicated, but perhaps " Lightroom " would be enough for my needs ?

Griddi.........

Real Name
    Griddi

Quote Originally Posted by KCBrecks View Post
    I said much the same as you Griddi at the beginning of the year when I got the current camera which would shot in RAW - why bother when the camera produces exactly what I want in jPeg's and when I edit a RAW file it turns out just the same as the jPeg. Then I gave it a serious try just a couple of months ago. The guru's were right, again, and there is so much more you can do to the RAW file than there is with the Jpeg. One thing I find really good is being able to alter the White Balance which can give your pictures a very different look. The pictures will also look so much sharper in RAW, without looking over sharpened. Straightening up, trimming and cloning are all available. I use the RAW + Fine setting on the camera and would only change that if I needed to use the burst mode.

I hadn't used RAW for 10 years and wasn't bothered that the cameras didn't produce them but now, thanks to CiC and the Canon DPP progam RAW it is. As Donald says, it is good to feel that you are a little more in control of your photographs.

Your cactus flower pictures are beautiful - such a pretty pink. They might only flower for a day but what a day!
    Thank you Keith,

As I replied to Donald I can also see a difference now between RAW Vs JPEG's, and I will now keep on shooting RAW, or as you, use the RAW / Fine setting, which I have done already........

I also found that I can adjust the white Balance in the RAW converter much better, and the photo's show overall more details, which even my Daughter, which is not at all interested in taking photo's, noticed when I showed her the photo's I had now shoot in RAW.......

So, as I wrote to Donald " I once was blind, but now I see "

The cactus will form in some weeks again some buds to flower, will take then photo's again of it, and......of course in RAW !!!!!!!

Regards,
    Griddi.....