james

Heron Strike

Heron Strike
    Heron Strike
    Heron Strike

Real Name
    Tyler

Re: Heron Strike

Awesome! Would like to have this opportunity sometime!

Real Name
    Dave

Great captures, but what really makes the difference to me is that you had the vision to get down low - that makes an excellent series really special

Yes, those three images tell the story nicely.

Real Name
    Gretchen

I just love that last one because the beak is level with the ground. I don't know if this animal usually stands thus with prey in it's mouth, but it is a great shot, IMHO. The angle and curve of the neck looks extremely uncomfortable. Yet it is stunning. The eye and the base of the skull are lined-up. The curve of the back of the head and the front of the neck are mirror images.

Just a delight!

Thanks for posting.

Real Name
    Joe

Nice series James. Sharp images with great detail. Unless your Great Blue Herons are colored differently it appears the color is too brown. A white balance adjustment moving the slider towards the blue will correct it.

Real Name
    Paul

I thought the same thing, Joe. Although the color does not look to be off.....is this possibly a Tri-colored Heron? I have yet to see a Tri-color so I am unsure.

Nice series either way, James.

Real Name
    Joe

Definitely a Great Blue, maybe a juvenile. It is not a Tri-colored Paul, too big and heavy.

Real Name
    james

Tyler I am glad you took the time to view and comment . Thank you, I am thrilled that you liked them.

Dave that low angle perspective is alittle trick I learned from Bobo,last winter he did some waterfowl that way,and I was very impressed with it.

Geoff I watch those birds a lot and I am quite amazed with their success rate. Its way superior than my photographic success rate.

Gretchen your work is so artistic, that any compliment from you is held in high regard. I didnt pay any attention to the geometry, but now that you pointed it out, I see the symetry..... I should look for such things in the future. thank you.

Joe this is not the first time I have been told that about my Heron shots. I thought maybe some were female or immature .( most likely I need to slide towards the blue a little) My post production skills are very limited I have elements 9 I should be able to make the wb adj. there I think. Thanks for taking the time to comment Joe, You probably see thousands of these birds in Fla.

Real Name
    Bobo

Well caught sequence of shots. Good angle and sharpness.

As Joe said the WB is off. Try putting eg #2 in ACR and clicking the WB pointer on the whiter part under the lower beak line and the colour will change to what a GBH normally looks like.

Real Name
    james

This Heron looks like a different species note the length of bill and the blue patch at the eye. Oh thanks for posting Paul.
    Heron Strike

Real Name
    james

Hello Bobo glad you could help. I put 2 in elem 9 then clicked on color correction and came up with this. what do you think?
    Heron Strike

Real Name
    Paul

Now this one looks to me to be the Great Blue Heron. Still a little more grey in color than normal but surely a Great Blue. Nice capture James.
    Man I am slow, I was refering to the one above this one.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Well done!

Real Name
    Bobo

That new shot is SUPERB. Lighting, sharpness, balance etc. All great. The slightly more grey could be due to the angle of light but it came out very very nice.

WB correction of #2 looks good (though I did quite like the warm look in the original )