Thread: Nikon D300 vs D7000

Real Name
    Bruce

Nikon D300 vs D7000

Hi,

I'm looking at the Nikon D300 and D7000. I have three teenage athletes (soccer, basketball) and plan on taking photos at their games. I also like nature photography. I'm sensitive to ergonomics and have read the D300 has slightly (?) better ergonomics than the D7000. Harkening back to my Minolta SRT-202 days, I will appreciate the ability to manipulate shutter and aperture quickly. I've seen used D300s for about $700-$800, and am tempted. Anyway, I'd appreciate any insight members of this community can offer.

Thanks, Bruce

Real Name
    Tyler

Re: Nikon D300 vs D7000

Hi Bruce,
    Though I do not have experience with the 300, I do own a 7000. I find it easy to manipulate for manual (an F3 user from way back). The only problem I have with it is the well-documented back focus issue that is not being corrected in AF fine tune. It's an ongoing project for me to problem solve this issue!

Best,
    Tyler

Real Name
    Bruce

Tyler,

Thanks a lot. So will the back focus issue make it difficult for me to track quickly moving soccer ("football" for the rest of the world) players?

Real Name
    Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by brucehughw View Post
    Tyler,

Thanks a lot. So will the back focus issue make it difficult for me to track quickly moving soccer ("football" for the rest of the world) players?
    As far as I can tell (and have been reading online), it tracks fine. It just has problems with static situations that force me to go to MF.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Bruce,
    A D300 or D300s?
    I bought a used D200. (shutter count 6875) Think the D300 is a lot better than the D200.
    Will I swop my D200 for a D7000? Maybe.
    Will I swop the D200 for a D300? Yes.

Quick change between shooting modes - press button turn dial. How quick are your fingers?
    Manipulate shutter and aperture - turn dial.

Have a good look at both and handle both. To master the D300 will take a little longer than mastering the D7000.
    Just remember the D300 has no A mode - if you are a rookie with a camera, go for the D7000.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

You might also want to do videos of them teens playing if so then you have to pick the D7000 since the D300 has no video. Just something to keep in mind

Real Name
    Andrew

Ergonomics is not something to read about. It's an individual thing so you need to feel it for awhile. Past that, use dpReview to compare the two and look at the specifications that are important to you.

Real Name
    Pete

I would agree on the ergonomics do try and hold both.

i've never used a d7000 but until about two weeks ago I owned a d300 and it is a very nice camera with good autofocus however.....

the sensor is essentially 5 years old..... the sensor in the d7000 will certainly allow you to shoot at higher iso's.

check out Thom Hogan's d7000 review where he briefly compares it to the d300.

actually the d7000 is probably due for an update .... we've been waiting for the d300 update for quite a while!

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by Melkus View Post
    the D300 has no video.
    D300s has.

Real Name
    Bruce

Hi, Andre.

Thanks for your advice. I'm not a camera rookie, and usually prefer more control and less automation. So I don't think I will miss the scene or automatic modes of the D7000. I spoke with a camera store that rents equipment and sells it when they replace it with newer models. The stopped renting the D300 about a year ago (no more for sale, either). The salesperson (a professional photographer familiar with the D7000 but not the D300) recommended the D7000, "it has a newer sensor, it's a newer model with better software and hardware." Yet the D300, according to Thom's website (mentioned below), leans toward the pro and can take more photos in a burst mode before the buffer fills (good for soccer). I will, as you recommend, have a good look at both. tough call. It seems that both are due for an upgrade (newer model) soon, too.

Bruce

Real Name
    Bruce

Thanks for your advice and the link (that is a great piece on the d7000). What did you replace the d300 with? did you find it heavy? responsive?

Thanks again, Bruce

Real Name
    Pete

Thanks for your advice and the link (that is a great piece on the d7000). What did you replace the d300 with? did you find it heavy? responsive?

Thanks again, Bruce
    heavy? well yes a bit. but it was a well built camera. Autofocus was excellent as was start up etc

I replaced it with a Fuji XE1 with an 18f2 and 35f1.4 primes. Image quality is superb especially high iso. But it is not a camera for everyone. Auto focus is slower etc but it's a camera I like

I had no issues with the camera, I just reached a point of wanting a better low light option and my photography needs changed.

If I was buying a Nikon dSLR today I'd buy a d7000 over a d300 (purely for the sensor).

Real Name
    Bruce

Thanks! (last question, I promise): you write "purely for the sensor" - i.e., more pixels and better sensitivity? with the D300, how large can one print before quality degrades? 11 x 14, larger? Thanks again.

Real Name
    Pete

Thanks! (last question, I promise): you write "purely for the sensor" - i.e., more pixels and better sensitivity? with the D300, how large can one print before quality degrades? 11 x 14, larger? Thanks again.
    when I say purely for the sensor I mean that the sensor in the D7000 allows you to get better high iso. The pixels are a nice to have but not the be all and end all for me.....

I shoot a lot inside historic buildings where flash is forbidden.

this is one of the better review sites http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D7000/D7000A.HTM

there are comparisons with the d90 that has a very similar sensor to the d300

Real Name
    Bruce

Thanks very much. Bruce

Real Name
    Jason

I would lean toward the d7000 as the higher iso and better noise performance will be very useful. If they play night games for soccer, noise performance will be important. I wouldn't worry much about the burst rate and buffer speed though. I think you can get about twelve photos out before hitting the buffer. Which is really enough. Just wait for the decisive momentand it will never be a problem. Also what lens will you be considering for this purchase? If a d300s body only is cheep enough you may be able to buy a better quality lens for the same price as the d7000 with the kit lens. Just a thought.

-Jason

Real Name
    Bruce

Hi, Jason. Good advice, thanks. I have a Nikon 50mm 1.8, the kit lens from the D50, and Nikon 70-300mm VR (latest model). I'll be using the latter for sports and since it is not a fast lens, the higher iso will be useful. Leaning towards the d7000.