Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How to add in a signature to an image?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
    Posts
    98
    Real Name
    Albert Sim

    How to add in a signature to an image?

    Hi, Good day to everybody.
    Recently i tried to add in a signature to my images but was in vain.

    What I done is :-
    1. I scanned my signature to PC in pdf format,
    2. Opened in Photoshop, cropped it and go to edit>Define Brush preset, saved as "My Signature".
    3. Opened an image, and created a new layer, use the preset brush clicked on either the image or the new layer, the signature was shown in the new layer and not in the image, well I then flatten layer.... and.... NOTHING !!!!

    Can anyone help me please ?

    TQ & Rgds,
    Albert.

  2. #2
    pnodrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Waipu, Northand, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,348
    Real Name
    Paul

    Re: How to add in a signature to an image?

    I am not sure what is going on but make sure that the signature layer blend is set to normal and the layer opacity to 100%. What colour were you using for the signature?

  3. #3
    Andrew76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,300
    Real Name
    Andrew

    Re: How to add in a signature to an image?

    I have never done what you are trying to do, the way you are trying to do it, but it sounds a little convoluted. Why not open your jpeg in Photoshop, and save it as a tiff, or png file, so that you can save it with transparent background. Then save that as "Albert's Signature", or whatever, then you can just open it on top of whatever image you want, whenever you want to? Or, better yet, save it into a custom watermark, and then it's always there in a watermark profile.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
    Posts
    98
    Real Name
    Albert Sim

    Re: How to add in a signature to an image?

    Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    I am not sure what is going on but make sure that the signature layer blend is set to normal and the layer opacity to 100%. What colour were you using for the signature?
    Color? I tried too. But looks like it followed the image's background color. I am using CS5, when I called out the new layer, It seems not much choice I can go for ! (Sorry, I am not good in CS 5) I then selected a particular color from the limited choices but it still goes with the image color.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
    Posts
    98
    Real Name
    Albert Sim

    Re: How to add in a signature to an image?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    I have never done what you are trying to do, the way you are trying to do it, but it sounds a little convoluted. Why not open your jpeg in Photoshop, and save it as a tiff, or png file, so that you can save it with transparent background. Then save that as "Albert's Signature", or whatever, then you can just open it on top of whatever image you want, whenever you want to? Or, better yet, save it into a custom watermark, and then it's always there in a watermark profile.
    Hi Andrew,
    Thank you for your instruction, I'll try it.

  6. #6
    pnodrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Waipu, Northand, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,348
    Real Name
    Paul

    Re: How to add in a signature to an image?

    Hi Albert, I have always added a signature similar to how Andrew does. However I have just tried setting my signature as a brush tool pre-set and it works fine, the colour is the same as the set foreground colour. It seems to me you maybe using the wrong type of brush and somehow making a path or vector rather than a colour filled size controllable brush imprint. Having played with it I like the method and may use it in the future. Check the size of the brush, about 500px worked well for me.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 20th November 2012 at 04:26 AM.

  7. #7
    John Morton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New York NY USA
    Posts
    459

    Re: How to add in a signature to an image?

    I'm a little surprised that people aren't doing this using a custom preset with the "Symbols" tool. I just use a font rather than a scanned signature, so I don't use a brush or a symbol; but I think I would be inclined toward setting up a custom symbol if I were using a scanned signature, rather than using a brush.

  8. #8
    wobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bundaberg, Aus- Paradise
    Posts
    73
    Real Name
    Robert

    Re: How to add in a signature to an image?

    Just had to do a signature similar today- here follows my 'two bits of instructable'-
    1) Create your signature- Black ink on white paper.
    2) Scan the signature as a jpg image into photoshop. (or sign on a connected graphics pad direct into a photoshop blank page.) You may need to make contrasty with 'curves' so it is fully Black on White.
    3) Unlock the signature image Background layer by 'Double-clicking' the padlock symbol on the background LAYER in the LAYERS palette. Or if you prefer on the Menu- Choose "Layer" > "New Layer from Background"
    4) Use the 'Magic wand' selection tool to select all background areas and press [Delete] to clear the background colour.
    You should be left with your signature on a transparent background (seen as faint checkerboard)
    Tidy up by going MENU > Image > Trim (this should crop down to the signature in size unless you have stray pixels.!)
    5) Save your image as a PNG file for future use. (DO NOT save as jpg- this restores a white background back in place)
    6) You now have a Signature.png file that can be placed on any image or document image (PDFs included)
    7) Open both document and signature files, just CTRL+A -to select all of the signature file, CTRL+C -to copy, swap to the document image CRTL+V to paste. (or simply use the 'Move' tool to drag the signature onto the other image page.
    8) You now have the signature on a layer above the document which can be moved about ('Move' tool) or resized, rotated, shewed, warped, etc with 'Free Transform' (press CTRL+T).
    It may look difficult in words, but once having done a couple it becomes easy. A friend of mine uses .PNG files (with transparent background) to create gift cards with overlayed verses and images- they look great.
    If you are using Photoshop you have all the tools necessary.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
    Posts
    98
    Real Name
    Albert Sim

    Re: How to add in a signature to an image?

    Quote Originally Posted by wobert View Post
    Just had to do a signature similar today- here follows my 'two bits of instructable'-
    1) Create your signature- Black ink on white paper.
    2) Scan the signature as a jpg image into photoshop. (or sign on a connected graphics pad direct into a photoshop blank page.) You may need to make contrasty with 'curves' so it is fully Black on White.
    3) Unlock the signature image Background layer by 'Double-clicking' the padlock symbol on the background LAYER in the LAYERS palette. Or if you prefer on the Menu- Choose "Layer" > "New Layer from Background"
    4) Use the 'Magic wand' selection tool to select all background areas and press [Delete] to clear the background colour.
    You should be left with your signature on a transparent background (seen as faint checkerboard)
    Tidy up by going MENU > Image > Trim (this should crop down to the signature in size unless you have stray pixels.!)
    5) Save your image as a PNG file for future use. (DO NOT save as jpg- this restores a white background back in place)
    6) You now have a Signature.png file that can be placed on any image or document image (PDFs included)
    7) Open both document and signature files, just CTRL+A -to select all of the signature file, CTRL+C -to copy, swap to the document image CRTL+V to paste. (or simply use the 'Move' tool to drag the signature onto the other image page.
    8) You now have the signature on a layer above the document which can be moved about ('Move' tool) or resized, rotated, shewed, warped, etc with 'Free Transform' (press CTRL+T).
    It may look difficult in words, but once having done a couple it becomes easy. A friend of mine uses .PNG files (with transparent background) to create gift cards with overlayed verses and images- they look great.
    If you are using Photoshop you have all the tools necessary.
    HI Robert,
    I followed your instruction in adding the signature and I got it !
    Simple and fast. Thank you so much Robert.

    Cheers.

  10. #10
    wobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bundaberg, Aus- Paradise
    Posts
    73
    Real Name
    Robert

    Re: How to add in a signature to an image?

    Hi Albert, and others that 'liked'
    I'm pleased you were able to follow my long-winded description, but 'yes' once created "simple and fast".
    PNG transparent files also work well for overlaying- Verses, text, Clip-art, Logos, Copyright symbols, Business names, etc.etc..
    A 'Signature' brush can be created as others have suggested but the PNG file technique has so many other uses.
    Cheers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •