Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Son's Buck Surprise

Real Name
    Tyler

Son's Buck Surprise

I was out the other day and lo and behold, this 8-point is walking around our back fence. My son grabs my D7000 and 300/2.8 MF w/TC301 as an effective 900mm. So here he is!

Son's Buck Surprise

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Son's Buck Surprise

What a great opportunity to have such a nice animal so close to home. Not to sound to critical but this seems to be a case of to much of a good thing. I mean having the ability to reach out is great but in this case doing so to such a degree has cropped out the most interesting part. The points. The lead in/heading says 8 point buck and I looked forward to seeing one. I hope you were able to capture a few of the whole animal. If so I would love to see them.

With this one, it may be somewhat improved toning down the highlights a bit. The blown areas may even be recoverable. The eyes, ears and antlers look to be fairly sharp but a bit more DOF would have got the nose too. Although not much more, being the background is nicely blurred.
    You son did quite well for grabbing your camera, he must be paying attention to his pop.

Real Name
    Tyler

Re: Son's Buck Surprise

Thanks Paul,
    My son told me that the event was fleeting and he did not have time for lens swapping so he went with what was on the camera. I will try to reduce exposure in PP on your suggestion. The DOF was the result of needing to shoot wide (5.6) and the fact that there is a big ugly shed in the yard behind our fence with an out-of-scene oil tank to the left.