Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A good roll

Real Name
    Debbie

A good roll

My girl Gitte having a good roll in the leaves....and something stinky under there for sure. I love it cause I caught her being a dog. Also love the colors.

Perhaps it would be better if her eye was open, but I brightened up her teeth and mouth a bit to give some definition to her head.

Its cropped. I like the amount of space on her sides, I went back and forth with the amount of space in front of her head. I'm not sure if this is too tight or not.

C & C always welcome.

A good roll

Real Name
    Travis

Re: A good roll

I'm a sucker for dog photos..love the image, I would darken the exposure maybe 1/2 stop.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

A scene of utter blissfulness - A good roll in something nice and smelly. Can't beat it.

It's the expression of sheer contentment that makes it.

What I'd like to try and do is make that fence in the background less obtrusive, but not sure as to how that could best be done at this stage. Maybe darkening it and/or trying to blur it?

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Very nice but if you could have shot it with less DoF to blur out the lattice in the background would been even better.

I have come in and looked at this photo a couple of times... but the word escaped me.... Donald hit it spot on "BLISS". I really love the colors of the leaves... I kind of wonder what it might look like if there were more room around her head.. in the front and on the left side. I guess I like to give them room to move in a photo, it looks like she would hit her head in that corner:> does that make sense... lol... Lovely photo, lovely pup:>Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Debbie

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Re: The lattice fence. Agreed, camera was on f8, from previous shots. When she started to roll I just started clicking, but now I know what f8 with the fence at that distance will give me. I can read the numbers on the DOF charts till the cows come home, but its not till I take a photo, that could have been better, does it hit home to pay closer attention.

Trina: I played with the crop alot, including versions that gave her more space in front of her head....but then that would put more space on her left and right....it was a toss up, but glad to hear you had the same thoughts.

Yeah....the dead thing roll is every owners nightmare (depends on the dead thing, this wasn't too bad, just a worm or something insignificant to us) and every dog's bliss

Real Name
    Richard

Gitte just looks so absolutely happy that this image makes me smile. Sure, technically, it might be a bit better if the fence were more OOF (you can do this in post processing). But my attention is right on Gitte and I hardly noticed the fence.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 21st November 2012 at 10:52 PM.

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Gitte just looks so absolutely happy that this image makes me smile. Sure, technically, it might be a bit better if the fence were more OOF (you can do this in post processing). But my attention is right on Gitte and I hardly noticed the fence.
    Thanks. I was going to thank you for the search/donation information. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I wasn't offended or anything. It was very thoughtful, although if someone felt it was misplaced in the forum posting feel free to send it to me in a message.
    Last edited by djg05478; 24th November 2012 at 01:44 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

Debbie,

I pulled the post because I thought that members might think I was soliciting donations using this site and might object.

I will send you a PM on goodsearch, goodshop and gooddining...

Real Name
    Terry

Hi Debbie!

Miss Gitte looks to be in Dog Heaven!

You nailed the nice detail of her coat. I don't think you have too little in the foreground on your crop. If anything, I might say that you have a bit too little on top to balance. But only if I had to say anything at all! I have found that if you are taking something to print, and you may not take this one, try to keep at least a half inch of space. Framing/matting will soak up as much as an eighth inch per side and sometimes a little more.

I wonder if it would interest you if I suggested a subtle (very subtle) vignette for Miss Gitte?

But no matter what, a fun shot of her!