Thread: Sports Illustrated... (or not)!

Real Name
    Terry

Sports Illustrated... (or not)!

Since I don’t really have much shakin’ right now, I went to my nephew’s basketball game the other day. First graders.

They were huge fun to watch, but from a photographic standpoint it was truly abysmal!

There is virtually no separation of the players. Wherever the ball is will be where you will find 10 first graders clustering up. The lighting was horrific, and I was generally shooting into the opposing coach’s rear end! The coaches at this level can be out on the court helping to position the kids.

Not really knowing what to expect, I went with a 70-200mm and 1.4 teleconverter. That was way too much so I popped off the TC and went from there. I used a bare flash on a bracket. I shot from our team’s end of the court but found I was better off on the opposing team’s end shooting down court.

I am generally amazed at the throw of a single Speedlite (580 EXII). I was throwing shadows on the far end of the court. This was shot at ISO 640, f/4.0, 1/250. The crop and shop was minimal. A vignette, a bit of local sharpening, some burning of the background, my usual curves, levels adjustments, and that’s about it.

Now, I really consider this shot to be nothing more than just a family snapper. I know it isn’t going to make “Sport’s Illustrated” (unless maybe the version that is illustrated with crayons!) but please feel free to comment if the mood strikes!

Sports Illustrated... (or not)!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Sports Illustrated... (or not)!

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    I know it isn’t going to make “Sport’s Illustrated”
    Maybe not, but it still beautifully captures the concentration, effort, focused attention. It's sharp. It's in focus. The exposure is good.
    Last edited by Donald; 19th November 2012 at 11:02 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

You downplay your image way too much. It's quite nice. Consider darkening the bright column and its reflection.

I'm surprised that you were allowed to use flash. That wasn't objectionable to everyone on the basketball floor?

Real Name
    Paul

I agree with both Donald and Mike, quite well done if you ask me. The clearity and near 3D outcome is very nice.

Real Name
    John

Maybe when you add it to a collage in his later years. Don't lose it.

Real Name
    Miltos

Terry your photo is very good.

Actually everything is good, even the background is not bad at all.

I like the reflections on the floor and the success of the shallow DoF. You also have a nice shadow on the wall that accentuates the third dimension.

Real Name
    Richard

I love the intensity of his expression...

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Very good captures all seem to be tack sharp

Real Name
    Terry

Thank you all for taking the time to view and comment, guys!

Mike, I have darkened the column (and reflection) a fair amount as it stands. However, I would like to try to go more. I only gave this so much time but I may have to revisit it. At this level of basketball, nothing is very objectionable so flash was no problem. Having a flash firing made absolutely no difference to anyone!

Miltos, this was what I was talking about when I mentioned the shadows thrown from a flash at this distance.

Thank you again, everyone.