Sunset in Somerset
    IMG_1471 by andy_mendip, on FlickrSunset in Somerset
    IMG_1466 by andy_mendip, on Flickr
    Sunset in Somerset
    IMG_1434 by andy_mendip, on Flickr

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Re: Sunset in Somerset

Andy, you captured some nice colors and silhouettes. Here's my two cents worth.

The first three were taken from the same spot, and I assume in the 2nd and 3rd, you waited until people walked by. The 2nd and 3rd are the most interesting of the first 3 because of the people. They give scale and added interest.

For the 2nd and 3rd images, you might want to try cropping some off the bottom and right sides of these two images. It looks like you wanted to keep the 's' curve of the stream that flows along the bottom out to sea, but my personal opinion is that it does not contribute to the image. I would crop it off so that its brightness does not pull your eye away. You would be left with some dark sand at the bottom and no matter where you looked in the image, your eyes would always return to the people. Cropping off some at the right also moves the people away from center, which makes the image more interesting.

In the 4th image, there is too much black at the bottom and too much plain sky at the very top. I would crop off the bottom and the top. Doing that would leave an almost panoramic aspect ratio, so I would probably also crop off some of the left. The end result would have the horizon one third up and the island one third in from the right.

Real Name
    Andy

Re: Sunset in Somerset

Hi Ken,
    Sorry its taken a while to reply, busy with work !

All images are taken from same position, just moved camera about on tripod, Yes I like the stream as a kind of lead in, if as you say it does not work then get rid of it.

I do agree with the cropping idea, I just shot about 50 images what was there including people, I was focused on the changing sunset and colours produced.

Thanks for your C&C it is always welcome.

Regards

Andy